Post Egg Paralysis in pigeon

LightAurora589

Chirping
Dec 31, 2021
my pigeon, after laying her second egg can't seem to move to well, I have heard of what Post Egg Paralysis is but I am afraid, what can I do to help restore mobility to my girl, do I need to just put everything near her, keep her warm and wait? I am very worried about her right now and don't know the answer to the problem.

Put everything near her, food, water, warmth...and give her extra b vitamins.
Egg laying takes a lot of these, and they are needed for proper nerv and muscle function.

If you are not already offering a multi mineral supplement, start to do that.
If those are the first eggs, that can be exhaustion and a tad painful for the pigeon. So maybe she strained too much and is exhausted now

Put everything near her, food, water, warmth...and give her extra b vitamins.
Egg laying takes a lot of these, and they are needed for proper nerv and muscle function.

If you are not already offering a multi mineral supplement, start to do that.
If those are the first eggs, that can be exhaustion and a tad painful for the pigeon. So maybe she strained too much and is exhausted now
Thank you, I have everything near her and some covers covering the part of the cage she is resting in, is it normal for her to take a while to poop, whenever my bird starts laying she just takes giant poops. She is still eating her grit and seeds and doesn't seem to have any blockage in her vent, but as usual I am worried, btw she already layed both here eggs.

Giant poops are basically the first and sure sign for pigeons to go into laying and turning broody.
They basically store all the poop to dump it when they get off the nest.
So they don't have to leave the nest more times.

And pressing out two eggs, especially in a new laying hen, is exhausting and painfull at first.
Multi mineral mix and b vitamins are sure to help her get back on her feet when she is simply exhausted.

Does she have a partner?

Giant poops are basically the first and sure sign for pigeons to go into laying and turning broody.
They basically store all the poop to dump it when they get off the nest.
So they don't have to leave the nest more times.

And pressing out two eggs, especially in a new laying hen, is exhausting and painfull at first.
Multi mineral mix and b vitamins are sure to help her get back on her feet when she is simply exhausted.

Does she have a partner?
She has a mate, but he is a very moody pigeon. We cannot get him to mate with her. Whenever she goes into a mating position, he just bites her. It could be due to the fact that she is so much larger then him

She has a mate, but he is a very moody pigeon. We cannot get him to mate with her. Whenever she goes into a mating position, he just bites her. It could be due to the fact that she is so much larger then him

Like, you know pigeons are basically the Spartans (or should I say Klingons)of fowl?
Where they fight each other to prove they are strong enough to ward of stranger pigeons from the nest.
And even when mated it will happen that they fight.

Pigeons can be the cuddliest partners ever, but before mating, and even in between they can be such bastards to each other.
Is he constantly with her, have they found each other on their own, or have you choosen a partner?
Because him biting at her when she goes into mating position seems pretty sure to me that he says "Fck off"

Pigeons are very choosy with their partners.
I had a gay pair, and there was a white carrier pigeon who simply wanted the one mate to be hers.

She did not get the hint that he was mated already, even when he winghit her away from the nest or pecked at her when she flirted.
One time he really went berserk on her because she attacked his mate and she was unable to fly for a week, but she did not want to give up.

On the other hand, the one time he did flirt with another dude, his mate flew over, looked at him with a long neck and an outraged expression to his body, and then hit him over the head and flew after him until he was calm again.

But picking at your mate when they want to mate...very sure way to tell they do not want that mate.

Oh yeah, because the mate of my pigeon was nearly double his size, so size really is NOT a hinderance for pigeons when they want to mate.
They tried to share treading, but Hugo was flattened by his bigger mate and then they decided the bigger one would be down under for..safety reasons.

Back
Top Bottom