Post Phoenix Pics Please

when I first got chickens all of them where hatchery birds they are great as pets and laying chickens but not as show birds. Maybe one in a thousand you will get a champion or a nice one.
Or if you know how to breed from those birds. When we first got buff laced polish, we started with hatchery birds from McMurray. We kept the best and bred from them. Within a few generations of just choosing the best birds, we had a line of polish that were winning best in show.

I had some phoenix pullets from McMurray this year, they had multiple feathering and were good looking birds that laid well. I was going to use them for a different project but they got taken by an owl

ya but it takes up so much time and space it is better to start with a chicken breeder verses a hatchery that way you do not have to spend 6 years trying to breed out some defect or DQs and a lot of times the chicken breeder will have already bred out the defects and DQs it will be a nice birds and that way when you do breed them they will be even better birds.

This is all good to know guys. Really I just want a pet Roo with a long tail to hang out in the Garden with me. I am not interesting in breeding these beauties. The ideal pet would be a bantam Roo so I could bring him in the house in winter. Thanks for all the suggestions though. I'll just wait till I find someone wanting to part with a bantam rooster that isn't breeding quality.
That or next year when I have my Orpingtons set up get a few long tail eggs and hatch them out.

Last edited:

Not sure of his quality, but would love feedback. I bought eggs on Ebay, and he is supposed to be from SQ parents. He is about 6 months in this photo. Sadly, he is the only one who hatched from shipped eggs, so I doubt I will keep him, but I would like to know if he is good quality so I can try to find him a home.

Last edited:
well, it happens. Even from show quality birds you get culls. He's what I'd call a cull though. Legs are wrong, should be slate blue. Ear lobes should be solid white. Body shape and posture looks great. Tail and saddles are very weak though, should be a lot more and a good bit longer. Not saying you should go run to the breeder and complain. You get duds from any bird from time to time, and you can get a stud from a weak bird too... just happens. This guy is nice, but just pet quality is all. Being 6 months old, he may still add some feathers and lenght to them, if he does it will help him a lot.

well, it happens. Even from show quality birds you get culls. He's what I'd call a cull though. Legs are wrong, should be slate blue. Ear lobes should be solid white. Body shape and posture looks great. Tail and saddles are very weak though, should be a lot more and a good bit longer. Not saying you should go run to the breeder and complain. You get duds from any bird from time to time, and you can get a stud from a weak bird too... just happens. This guy is nice, but just pet quality is all. Being 6 months old, he may still add some feathers and lenght to them, if he does it will help him a lot.
Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate you taking the time to evaluate him. I was hoping he was quality so I could find him a home, but I guess that's not in the cards for him. He is a nice boy so maybe I will just let him live with my layer flock. He certainly does not eat very much and gets along with everyone.

Sorry if this is redundant, but the thread is so long. Can anyone tell me at about what age a Phoenix starts to lay? And do they usually lay in nesting boxes?mine have not seemed to be missing for any period of time, but I also have seen no tiny eggs in with the BR, RIR, etc. Eggs.Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom