Post Phoenix Pics Please

Mine start about 6 months old and yes they lay in nest boxes. However, some of mine lay eggs almost the size of a RIR.. and some are tinted and look almost like a brown egg.. Are yours bantams?

I dont know if mine are bantams. They are about half the size of my chickens (RIR, BR, Orp, Maran, etc) but I thought that was just the size of a Phoenix. The gentleman who gave them to me ordered a large number of
birds last spring and didn't really know what was what.

Could some of you post pictures of your Phoenix eggs? I got a small egg two days ago but it was brown so I assumed it was a "hiccup" from another bird. It is definitely brown, and not white at all.

I tried to post a picture from my phone yesterday, but it didn't work and I lost my whole post. Maybe I will try when I can get on my actual computer.

What exactly does "bb red" mean? That he has some red genes?
that's a color. Black Brested Red. Looks like the black and red birds on the last page. Yes basically we were saying it may well have that. The recessive white gene really isnt a white bird genetically speaking in a way. It's one of any color/pattern, just covered up by white. Some times on red birds, the white "leaks" out some of the color that's hidden by the white, thus we call it leakage. It a bb reds case, you will see a yellowish tint at times from it coming threw if that all makes sense? Most whites are over silver duckwing, at least a high percentage are. But they can be over any colored bird. In a silver duckwings case you very seldome have or see and leakage due to it just being a black and white bird to start with. Some times you get a black feather or two, but that's it. So with the yellow yours shows, that's where the suspicion comes from it being over a red based bird...

Wow, they are beautiful!
Thanks.
big_smile.png

Agreed, nice birds! That first pic of the white male gives me hope for the future of my own new whites! :)
Do not worry, there are very good breeders here who can help you with some eggs or you can buy another pair. When I started with this breed and saw those pictures of the phoenix with long tails as I was hypnotize by the beauty of these birds. I spent a bit of work to get them because in Puerto Rico are not well known and some breeders do not send to PR. I talked to William and he sent me like 30 eggs and hatched 22. I had 10 white, 5 golden, 5 black breast and 2 browns. I was super excited
celebrate.gif
, I never had so greatttttt hatching. I will wish you good luck with all of your birds. Specially the white ones
wink.png

Thanks for the advice and encouragement everyone. :) And a special thanks to you Boggy for clearing up what bb red means. It does make some sense, though it will take me a long time to really "learn" breeding patterns. I'll hatch some eggs from this "white" pair, and see what happens. It'll take a while (I'm just now getting my lights up to artificially increase daylength) but when I get some chicks, I'll let you all know what happens!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement everyone. :) And a special thanks to you Boggy for clearing up what bb red means. It does make some sense, though it will take me a long time to really "learn" breeding patterns. I'll hatch some eggs from this "white" pair, and see what happens. It'll take a while (I'm just now getting my lights up to artificially increase daylength) but when I get some chicks, I'll let you all know what happens!
no problem, and look forward to seeing them. You should get some others like we were saying if you breed them to the other colors,( bb red, gold, silver duckwing etc) Good luck with them all. Yes it takes time too to learn all the ins and outs of breeding, actually you never really stop learning. I find out new stuff all the time from my breedings or talking to others. To me, that's the easy way, see it first hand.

There's also a on line " cheater" site you can play around with and learn some of the basics. try to Google
Chicken Calculator

It's a site that allows you to enter and male and female and cross them. You can then cross those chicks to each other, or back to a parent and do it again. Pretty much takes a lot of the guess work out for a beginer. and man in the Netherlands named Henk, created it, he's on here as well. But it may help you either way if you want to check it out.

cool I only have a large fowl golden phonix pullet I wish I can get a rooster for her.
sad.png
I'm sure someone on here could help you get one. I mainly do just bantams, with the exception of some large fowl German import lines.
Amanda has some awesome birds, and is an excellent breeder too. She mainly focuses on the big boys. Might want to ask her if she has a spare she could sell you. She's "Onagadori " on here by the way

Back
Top Bottom