Post Phoenix Pics Please

I have a gold duckwing Phoenix bantam called phelix and he's about 22-25 weeks old and two of his tail feathers have fell out in about 2-3 days, they are cemetrical feathers that fell out but I was wondering, are all his feathers going to fall out because some of my other chickens are either finishing their moult or just starting or are these the feathers that just randomly fall out on Phoenix?

just molting is all

Here's some of our Phoenix' as they've started to grow. These are at 5mo.
big_smile.png
I am so happy with this breed. They are so calm and laid back.....not to mention gorgeous.

I just got a pair of silver duckwing phoenix hens, 9 months, in molt. They look a little ragged now, and they are in quarantine. They are much smaller than my EE pair, so hopefully they will get along well. Its hard to tell since they are ragged, but I think they may be more of a "dirty" silver, and their earlobes are not pure white. I'm not going to show, my daughter just wanted pretty pets, but I am always entertained by people who claim all these pure lines, etc. The rooster was very pretty, but then I am only just learning about this breed. They are LF, but much smaller than I think of a full size chicken. I've only had them two days, but they really love to perch like a bird.

Is there anything I need to know about this breed other than general chicken care? I'm giving them yogurt, mealworms, scratch, and a suet cage full of veggies in addition to layer pellets. They came from a backyard "farm" with almost 100 other chickens all running around on dirt and goat droppings. Their nails were terribly long since they didn't have much to scratch on. But they seem healthy and happier today. How long do you think they will molt? They are supposed to be 9 months, so hopefully it will be a light molt. Do you think they were stressed into molt?

Sorry for so many questions, still getting my feet wet with chickens!

Its probably just a juvie molt. If they aren't laying at the moment, I'd get a bag of hi-pro game feed while their feathers finish growing in. Can always give free choice oystershell if they are laying.

poor things have almost no tail feathers! I've had them 3 days and no eggs. The seller said they were laying hens, but they must have stopped to molt. How long could I safely give them hi-pro feed?

Back
Top Bottom