Post Phoenix Pics Please

2 of my boys
smile.png

Nugget:

And ... Goldschlager:

Can I ask why the roo is in such a small confinement? Is he just in it for show?

Well where I am at in MI we got hit with that winter storm pretty good. I am happy to say that Gainsborough and Honey weathered it fine. I did add a heat lamp to their run/coop. I had it set right over their waterer, but it kept the temp in their coop in the low 20's even with the outside temps being in the -numbers. All with 125 heat lamp. I did have the snow piled up around the sides, and left the snow on the top, so I think it had the igloo effect. I sure didn't want to have to bring him in the garage with Mr. Ed and Red Devil. Ed and Devil get along wonderfully well, even with two other roos in the garage with them.

I know... I know... I am supposed to have Gains isolated. It really was my intention. BUT things happened that didn't let me accomplish what I wanted to, and then I decided, heck with it. I will work on epic tails with the offspring of Honey and Gains. His tail is a whopping 3 feet long. LOL. Once I can get my back shed quartered and predator proofed... they'll be heading that way... It has high loft area so... just to easy for coons and possums to get in. Right now, the wild turkeys are using it. I KNOW RIGHT!! I am not kidding. I went back the other day, all bundled up with my big hunters pants/coat bundled up... AND I had left the door open when I took my snow blower out. Anyway, I get nearly to the front of the shed and was going to close it up, when a mass exudus of wild turkeys came flying out from the loft. LOL, I left the door open. They've got good wind protection in there. LOL. That and they'll take out the mice population.

Its a type of pen for onagadori Nova to protect the tail from damage.
They have to be kept that way for feather protection if you want to get the best out of them.
.this type , yes is for visual keeping.
Tomebako are the actual enclosures the Japanese have made for housing.

YOU... haha

you have to personally take them out each day and walk them. Usually holding the tail and saddles up off the ground in the process to avoid damage.
Keeping them like this is the only way they ever achieved the 20+ foot tails in Japan.
also very specialized diets were required and total isolation from hens to prevent hormone from triggering and starting a possible molt cycle.

It's a very hands on and time consuming process to say the least. But this is how they have done the breed for what now, 1,000 years?
So bird wise, this is what it expects lol and looks forward too in the morning when he gets up.
They are treated better than children in most cases

Dang, talk about spoiled... Holding their tails up like a bridal train. LOL

I was reading on a site... wish I could remember, but the feed the males green cabbage while in isolation to help prevent the hormone trigger molt. I was also reading that it's not in their interests to eat corn and... heck, can't remember it all at the moment. Which got me to thinking, what about my boys. I feed the yoke and the two phoenix just like the others. And they have grown quite nicely.... BUT this site was saying that it shortens the birds life span extremely short. I don't like that... BUT DANG! The diet it suggested is better than I freaking get to eat!

You can not call a bird Onagadori until it is proven. It is a pretty bird but it looks like a very nice longtail. Like I have said in many many post show me a bird with more than just 6-7 feet. That's about the max for longtails here in the states. David so far in the last few years is the only person that has a bird with a 14 foot tail...NOT bashing that pretty bird at all but its not a onagadori yet..Show us pics of him when or if his tail gets over 10 foot and does not molt for 3 years... Saddles must be at least 3 feet also and green legs on Silvers and golds. Yellow on whites.But keep up the work...

You can not call a bird Onagadori until it is proven. It is a pretty bird but it looks like a very nice longtail. Like I have said in many many post show me a bird with more than just 6-7 feet. That's about the max for longtails here in the states. David so far in the last few years is the only person that has a bird with a 14 foot tail...NOT bashing that pretty bird at all but its not a onagadori yet..Show us pics of him when or if his tail gets over 10 foot and does not molt for 3 years... Saddles must be at least 3 feet also and green legs on Silvers and golds. Yellow on whites.But keep up the work...

uzura-nancy's rooster in the cage is actually from Japan.. I messaged them and they are from Japan. So I would assume they are probably real onagadori. or real totenko/ onagadori like was stated. I don't know of anyone else who called their birds onagadori.. But I agree with the information. A line that has birds with tails above ten ft could be called onagadori with proper leg coloration. But Since they are in Japan, I would think it is ok for them to call them onagadori. Good info on the state of American Longtails.

Dang, talk about spoiled... Holding their tails up like a bridal train. LOL

I was reading on a site... wish I could remember, but the feed the males green cabbage while in isolation to help prevent the hormone trigger molt. I was also reading that it's not in their interests to eat corn and... heck, can't remember it all at the moment. Which got me to thinking, what about my boys. I feed the yoke and the two phoenix just like the others. And they have grown quite nicely.... BUT this site was saying that it shortens the birds life span extremely short. I don't like that... BUT DANG! The diet it suggested is better than I freaking get to eat!

You were reading Davids info on ONAGADORI.
That is how they need to be kept and fed. Phoenix are a 100% totally different breed from Europe. They are not the same. There are no dietary issues at all in the phoenix breed.

All Japanese breeds tend to be touchy on grains because aside from rice, they never really had gluten based grains

Back
Top Bottom