Post Phoenix Pics Please

Yes, you have a gold and a golden. In phoenix, the dark gold is more common. The light Golden's are just like the golden seen in old English and other breeds.
Phoenix is one of the few breeds that the dark ones are seen in .
Thankfully the dark ones breed true and have obvious females. They look like bb red hens just with yellow/ gold hackles.
The light golden is a male only color. The females of this shade will always be silver duckwing.

As for being able to tell silver males from light golden males.... silvers are black and white ONLY. Any red or gold no matter how pale is always a golden .

Thank you, thank you, thank so much! :D I was wanting to hatch eggs this spring but I didn't know about my golden in question, I was going to take him out of the making babies equation. But, since you've cleared up the fact that he's just a light..I should put him with my silver hens and not my gold hens, correct? My gosh y'all are so helpful!! I love these birds and want them paired correctly later on.

depends if you want dark or light ones. ye to the silver if you want light , remember that's just a male color that way. Hens will be silver.

or take him to a dark gold or even bb red for the darker version

His name is striker, and is my favorite chicken I have ever own!!!! he is only 7 months in the pic and his tail is 20 inches long by the time he is 2 years old it his tail should be about 3-4 feet.

My beautiful Mr. Ed passed away on me. Well, I was hoping he'd passed the mareks scare. Apparently not, and apparently the late vaccine didn't do him any good at all. He went blind on me. Just totally blind one day. Both side, no injuries, nothing. I brought him in, tried to hand feed and water him. I always had the feed and water close by his head, but he wouldn't eat or drink unless i literally put his beak in it. THEN I discovered the lump at the very top of his crop, not in his crop, and he'd gasp and stretch his neck to get water or mash past it. I looked in the mouth hoping maybe it was a gape, and not my fears, but nope... was my fears... What a terrible disease.

On the other hand, Gainsborough and Honey are still doing very well. Honey pulled a short stink in the broody box... then changed her mind. Oh thank goodness. I was not liking the idea of more chicks this time of year. I mean, my birds have done it, but I don't have any vaccine, or any place to isolate her until and chicks. I think i'd be safe to say that I'd have a real hard time keeping chicks alive at this point with the mareks on the property. Maybe though too, since she survived, fingers crossed, the mareks that took out all the others, that she may pass that survivablity on to the offspring?? Oh, how nice that'd be.

Give me few months and I'll have eggs to start saving...

Back
Top Bottom