Post Phoenix Pics Please

I have hens with spurs, but spurs on hens has no connection to the long tail gene. I have a spurred production red hen too. Lol

some hens have cockerel feathering as well but don't necessarily have good Longtail genes. However some hens are spurred and cockerel feathered and have excellent Longtail genes. So I think it best to select for good saddles, tail length and fullness, feather softness, etc..

@wolftracks same here I've had only 5 hatch from a full incubator. I must have done something wrong because some made it to due date but didn't hatch:/ I currently have Cubalaya in the Bator and I paid good money so hopeing those hatch lol
I also have Phoenix/Sumatra cross eggs in,there

Last edited:
@onagadori I have a blue wheaten phoenix hen, a Creole Phoenix roo, and 2 hens that are either BBR or Golden duckwing. They all came from your line. Was wondering what I can pair with what.

Last edited:
What does it mean if the hen does have spurs? because i have one with em =D

Spurs on a hen is (from what I can tell) just a physical trait. it doesn't mean she is hormonally off or that she is a longtail, or anything really. It is a dominant trait and thus a hen with spurs will usually throw pullets with spurs. It just really kind of looks neat in my opinion, but doesn't mean any thing particular other than looks.. I somehow feel better about a broody if she has spurs. I guess I feel like she can protect her babies better or something..

These hens are starting to annoy me .-. ive tried FF,cabbage,etc they have nice nest boxes clean surrounfings no stress and still no eggs .-. i want more phoenix hens who will actually lay

Back
Top Bottom