Post Phoenix Pics Please

I'm devastated tonight. It has been a roller coaster the past 2 days. I'll start by saying I love my broody Janet, and she did an excellent jobs hatching my eggs from rambob59...I don't know if any of this was her fault...I guess it's just one of those things that happen. Ok...so here's how it played out. We are having a heat wave in Kentucky...93°< for days now. When the 6 chicks were 3 days old (3 Goldens and 3 whites), I moved Janet and the chick's out to a shade tree in the yard for a little free ranging. I kept frozen gallons of water by the nest and around the yard. They had close access to fresh ice water and chick starter. For 2 days, she wouldn't get out of the nest and would just call the chicks from under her to scratch at the feed and water, and viciously protected them. On day 5, she began showing them around the shade tree and how to dust bathe. Every night, and for the hottest parts of the next day, I brought them all back into the house. Day 6 was a scorcher, so I waited extra late to put them outside. About 30 minutes into it, I noticed 2 whites were just not keeping up with momma as much. Everyone else was doing great, so I just took those 2 back into the house to cool down and to make sure they got plenty of water. They weren't trying to drink and just stood with their eyes closed, so I dipped their beaks. I noticed that their crops were hard as rocks. I treated for impacted crop and kept giving them water, and it looked like one was making a turn around. I didn't go to bed last night tending to the worse of the two. I got its crop to soften tremendously, but after I took a nap at 1 pm today, the one that had perked up and was running around peeping and drinking lay dead beside Janet. The worse one didn't look much better. I tended to him for the rest of the day and most of tonight. But what gets me, blows me away actually, is that during well chick's daily free ranging with Janet, a huge squirrel packed one of the Goldens away. I know how it sounds, crazy right? But I heard a commotion from Janet while I was inside tending to worse chick, ran outside, and saw her chasing a squirrel crying. The squirrel had "something" in its mouth and it wasn't a nut or feed. The other chicks were crying, and Janet abandoned the chase to return to the chicks. I searched and searched and couldn't find that chick. Now,at 12:59 am, I'm losing this other white chick. I have cried all day, and I've only cried over one other of my chickens. I'm just not a crier over my chickens...it's part of it. We even eat our roos, and I have no problems there. I guess I'm just exhausted and disappointed in myself for not knowing how to save them. I've had both my hips replaced and need my knees replaced and have severe scarring in my lungs @36 years old or I could have got to the gun faster to get that squirrel (and I never would have thought of a squirrel taking a chick...even after seeing it I spent an hour online to make sure I wasn't going crazy). I debated on doing the crop surgery to try and save this poor chick, but I'm so scared that it would lose too much blood, and it is so tiny that it has no spare to lose. So...I'm sitting here crying, feeling like a bad chicken momma, cuddling this dying chick, wondering how could I lose 3 in 24 hours.Like I said, I don't think it was Janet ' s fault, but I'm contemplating taking the remaining chicks from her and raising them in the house. I've never had luck like this with my chickens...I always figured it out. I've used broodies and incys and love both, but love how fast and healthy the chicks grow with a broody. Any advice? Or am I kicked out of the club?

So sorry for the lost chicks.
We have wooden nest boxes for swallows and the gray squirrels routinely check them for chicks.
Yesterday I had scrub jays chasing off an owl and panicked when a hawk dive bombed the neighbors yard, thankfully DD had put the OEGB back in the coop.

I've taken the remaining chicks away and put them in the house brooder. I don't think I could handle losing another. When the last impacted crop chick dies last night, I had to know what was causing it so I could correct the issue. It had quite a few pieces of cracked corn in the crop. I mix a little scratch in with my fermented feed for the big girls, but I have that on the opposite side of the property...far enough away I thought than my broody would venture with new chicks. I guess she snuck down there while I was in the house :( hard lesson learned

Oh man, that is terrible! So sorry you has to deal with that!
1f613.png

Tabatha, you are not a bad chicken mom. But you are learning one of the hard things about raising chicks & birds, sometimes you loose some, even when you think/are doing everything right. Hugs... I have had to kill chicks that where not going to make it, after a while you learn to recognize the ones that will not and the kindest thing you can do is end it quickly, not fun & always sad.

I think that squirrel would taste nice on the BBQ with a basting of butter & garlic, and a nice glass of white wine.

I have lost birds & rabbits to dog attacks, and various wild animals in the past... my next coop/run I build will have major changes too previous designs because of attacks.

Hugs & I am so sorry you have lost some chicks.

Tabatha I've even lost chicks down holes. Gophers, snakes and one time one was attacked by fire ants and practically eaten by the time I found it and momma was making a lot of noise and trying to call it way. Yeah! Squirrels suck! I used to think they were cute, but not anymore.

I'm really sorry about your chicks. Hopefully you can hatch out more. I know it doesn't help right now, but things happen. I think more than anything, you need to rest and not beat yourself up.

Oh man, that is terrible! So sorry you has to deal with that!
1f613.png

Tabatha, you are not a bad chicken mom. But you are learning one of the hard things about raising chicks & birds, sometimes you loose some, even when you think/are doing everything right. Hugs... I have had to kill chicks that where not going to make it, after a while you learn to recognize the ones that will not and the kindest thing you can do is end it quickly, not fun & always sad. 

I think that squirrel would taste nice on the BBQ with a basting of butter & garlic, and a nice glass of white wine.

I have lost birds & rabbits to dog attacks, and various wild animals in the past... my next coop/run I build will have major changes too previous designs because of attacks. 

Hugs & I am so sorry you have lost some chicks.

Tabatha I've even lost chicks down holes. Gophers, snakes and one time one was attacked by fire ants  and practically eaten by the time I found it and momma was making a lot of noise and trying to call it way. Yeah! Squirrels suck! I used to think they were cute, but not anymore. 

I'm really sorry about your chicks. Hopefully you can hatch out more. I know it doesn't help right now, but things happen. I think more than anything, you need to rest and not beat yourself up. 

Thanks for the support guys. I've lost chicks before, I've just never lost this many in such a short amount of time for the dumbest reasons. And I'm being extra hard on myself I guess because I didn't want to let rambob down and I've wanted these birds for so long. I've got a lot of health issues and these chickens are my therapy...lol. They remaining chicks are so spoiled right now. They peep and peep to be held...and when I pick them up, they run straight for my neck to cuddle...and then poop on me. As soon as I figure out what the result of tomorrow's doctors appointment is, I'm going to try again. Incy this time so that I can be in control of everything. But thank you again for the kind words of encouragement.

My birds are also therapy, so I get that too. I lost Silkied AM chicks every time I hatched them, when they hatch. They're delicate, but being bred stronger, so there was a time I thought I'd never have them. I lost 6 in the beginning within 2 days and that was hard. I have a lot of breeds and raise a lot if chicks and it really gets to me if something goes wrong. Last month I lost a while hatch of quail. I set them out to put them in a pen and got sidetracked. Had to run out and it wasn't till I pulled back in my drive that I remembered them. Feral cats had killed them. That while hatch was all female too. I'll probably never get that again. You didn't realize the hen would take the chicks to the other area. I was negligent. But I understand, cause I'm still mad at myself over it. Hopefully you'll be able to get more chicks from Rambob and end up with some beautiful birds.

Thank you so much. These were given to me by a total stranger I had been talking to @ Tractor Supply. Her incubator had broken that morning., she had her mother bring them while we were talking. I have no idea what I'm looking at with these :)
Ok so they will be a brown/red birchen color? Just curious, Is this a recognized color or a project color?

Sorry haven't been on in a bit. No duckwing are the only standard colors though there are tons of others.

Large for only have 2 in the APA gold and silver. The bantams in the ABA have them as well as white and light brown ( pretty much bb red)

Back
Top Bottom