Post Phoenix Pics Please

I would really advice you to keep the phoenix in a pen alone. They need their own space to grow well. They like high perches too. Feed wise, I feed gamebird crumble/starter and gamebird pellets when older. They need the higher protein for tail growth..

Advice on hens, keep the ones with a darker red breast. They do better than the lighter coloured. As males go look for tail length. Judges place them better on tail length(from what I've seen)

As genders go, mine are able to be sexed at 1 month old, males develop bright red comb, pullets dont. The breast feathers will turn blackish on a male and white/red on pullet

Thanks. That will help a lot. I would love to give them their own pen but it probably won't happen. My hubby says he is done with chicken coop construction. If he thought he could he would get rid of the chickens too but he knows how much I enjoy them. So, for now, ? Hey will be a mixed flock.:/

Hopefully they do well for you. Just glad more people are getting into the breed. Such beautiful birds.. Free ranging the phoenix roos is the best if that's what you mean by mixed flock.

i have a trio of silvers, with both of the hens setting on eggs right now. they should be hatching soon, within the next couple of days really. ill have to post some pictures of these awesome looking birds. they were born on feb. 14 of this year

Just wanted to give a quick shout out to BBB. The pullet DD entered in our county fair took best in show. She had such good type and color the judge zoomed in on her from 30 feet away. His only comment was that he hoped she stays her current size and doesn't get much bigger. They hatched April 3rd so we have our fingers crossed.

Just wanted to give a quick shout out to BBB. The pullet DD entered in our county fair took best in show. She had such good type and color the judge zoomed in on her from 30 feet away. His only comment was that he hoped she stays her current size and doesn't get much bigger. They hatched April 3rd so we have our fingers crossed.

Congrats!!! You must post pics.

Welcome to the thread. You're going to like these birds. They really are beautiful.

OK, that being said, I'm trying to bring don't the amounts and breeds of birds I have. Most of the Phoenix were going. This weekend I posted on FB with 3 dozen eggs of different breeds and of course the Phoenix eggs sold. Soooooo. I'm still going to be taking a few roos to the auction come Labor Day, but I'm holding on to at least one Silver and one Golden. The Sumatras were finally on my list to sell, but instead I'm going to be hatching more out. I have a Splash roo over blue and black hens, so I'm going to see if I can get some more blue and splash hens. Just can't give these fancy birds up. Obviously, I'm starting over with my list of what goes. LOL

One of my projects is American Game/Sumatra/Shamo. I put a couple of the hens in with one of my Golden roos and can't wait to see what they turn out like. And yes, these were also on the list. Letting go is NOT easy for me.

Back
Top Bottom