Post Phoenix Pics Please

Pics
I never knew there were so many different varieties of Phoenix colors! This makes me excited
smile.png

What color pattern would you say this Phoenix is?
He is so sweet and tiny like his mother, I love him. His name is Moe
tongue.png

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

Quote:
Hmmmm. So does that mean my boys are Silver? They definitely have black stripping in their neck hackles, from what I remember. At least one of them does anyway.

like I said, the top ones are silver ducking, bottom 3 are silver birchen, the odd ball in question is a mix, looks to have a bit of both in him, yet has some red leakage in the shoulders too, so not really a true color just a mix. From what I have seen and been told , duckwings of any breed with a touch of black in the hackle are just showing a little birchen in their blood. Would not be considered true to the standard for the color.

Quote:
Hmmmm. So does that mean my boys are Silver? They definitely have black stripping in their neck hackles, from what I remember. At least one of them does anyway.

like I said, the top ones are silver ducking, bottom 3 are silver birchen, the odd ball in question is a mix, looks to have a bit of both in him, yet has some red leakage in the shoulders too, so not really a true color just a mix. From what I have seen and been told , duckwings of any breed with a touch of black in the hackle are just showing a little birchen in their blood. Would not be considered true to the standard for the color.

I agree with Aubrey, Silver is a gene, not a pattern and in the case of Phoenix, Duckwing is the typical pattern , so they are expressing the silver where it would be expressed in the Duckwing pattern, and like any breed or color that has their imperfections, they extra black streaks would be just the little imperfections. An other characteristic of Duckwings are that the hens have salmon colored breasts, so my point there is you dont see "Silver" hens without the salmon colored breasts, they are all salmon breasted like all Duckwing based hens. So Silver Phoenix are Silver duckwing colored, Golden Phoenix are Golden duckwing ( Silver with Autosomal Red in the males) and B B Red Phoenix are Red Duckwing, its just that unlike Old English Games, the Duckwing part isnt always used in the name when referring to the bird.

And also like Aubrey said, the bird in the last pics is Birchen ( Silver Birchen).

There ARE two discriptions of color in BOTH Standards APA and the ABA...one is for Silver (having stripping in neck hackle)...not a crow wing at all...and the other is for Silver Duckwing (having NO stripping in neck hackle....I see very little difference in the female's discription in these two varieties.... I Do know what the Birchen and Crow wing varieties are. For example.....A Silver Leghorn is not a Silver Duckwing....it HAS stripping in the neck hackle...it's the Silver version of the Light Brown variety which also has stripping......In Old English Game we have Silver Duckwing )without stripping.... In the ABA Standard BOTH Silver and Silver Duckwing Phoenix ARE recognized...one with and one without stripping in neck hackle. Both of these varieties have the same white triangle...the only difference I see in the males is the stripping and no stripping in the neck hackles.....and both varieties have the same salmon breasted females (no crow wing color).....so there ARE Phoenix that can have one or the other color pattern and are recognized....Stripping in a neck hackle is DESIRED in Silver Phoenix....and NOT in Silver Duckwing Phoenix.... I just wanted to clear myself and not have anyone think I didn't know what I was talking about.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom