Post Phoenix Pics Please

Pics
Quote:
There should be some in the earlier pages, I know there are some on the website. I need to get soem recent ones. The one of the hen was when she was only a few months old, and I have none yet of Cy 's black project male. He's beautiful, but does have gold saddles and hackles still. He advised I breed him to the pure black hen and should clean up the off spring. I do have 3 routes to take this year though for blacks, so will have some ones way or the other, will be glad to hook you up. Even being bantam, they'll still work for your standard program, your f1's will just be mid siized birds, then breed them back to the standards one more time and you should be there. No need for type or tail corrections from out crossing them, as these will be as pure as they come.

the schubert line is also a little thicker bodied than normal phoenix as you can see from her pic here, which should help you in the standard size as well

IMG_2444.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
There should be some in the earlier pages, I know there are some on the website. I need to get soem recent ones. The one of the hen was when she was only a few months old, and I have none yet of Cy 's black project male. He's beautiful, but does have gold saddles and hackles still. He advised I breed him to the pure black hen and should clean up the off spring. I do have 3 routes to take this year though for blacks, so will have some ones way or the other, will be glad to hook you up. Even being bantam, they'll still work for your standard program, your f1's will just be mid siized birds, then breed them back to the standards one more time and you should be there. No need for type or tail corrections from out crossing them, as these will be as pure as they come.

the schubert line is also a little thicker bodied than normal phoenix as you can see from her pic here, which should help you in the standard size as well

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii168/BoggyBottomBantams/Chickens/IMG_2444.jpg

aww she is beautiful.
love.gif

You are awsome to help me out when your ready.
bow.gif

Quote:
droolin.gif

so for now , should i take my black girls and breed them to my white rooster?

It would be most likely that you white would be masking Silver Duckwing and if so, breeding them to the White would be like breeding to a Silver Duckwing in the first cross so I would say breed with which ever one is better quality.

So i posted this a few pages back but i think it got lost in the rash of Black Phoenix's so ima re post it
cool.png

What kind of housing do you guys have for your guys bantams? Im thinking about what my set up is going to be, i think i am going to make it easy and do a 4x4 floor plan, that is 8ft high with a slope to it. The run would probally be the same but covered and the floor will be dug down a foot and wire lined with sand on top. Would this work for a trio of bantam phoenixes?

Quote:
I do agree with Clint there, they are most likely masking silver duckwing, or birchen, so you will most likely end up with some like the rooster you showed.

What all colors do you have to work with?
If they are the only solid color, It will be your only choice even though they arent a true solid color. that or breed them to that project rooster to try to get the color right, then you can work on your type. Next year. Either way, what I do when I'm not sure, is rotate males in with the hens, this way you can cover all your bases. Mark the resulting chicks, and see what they trun out like when feathered up. Say a toe punch on the right foot for the hens with a white rooster, and a toe pucnh on the left for the black project male. Once you see which ones turn out best, you will know better how to continue your work the following year. It can be tricky if you only have a recessive white or project male to work with, as you never know exactly what genes the chicks will inherit.
All either way should be black, but the amount of leakage will be the main concern.
Case in point.
That Cy Hyde male I mentioned with the gold neck, was one of his lavenders crossed to one of his recessive whites, the result was a jet black bird, but with a lot of leakage in the hackle and saddle. So depending on what colors you have on hand, you'll just have to play around with them and see. I'd personally use both those roosters, and just wait and see who turned out best this fall. By then I should have you 1-2 to play with with them.

Quote:
I do agree with Clint there, they are most likely masking silver duckwing, or birchen, so you will most likely end up with some like the rooster you showed.

What all colors do you have to work with?
If they are the only solid color, It will be your only choice even though they arent a true solid color. that or breed them to that project rooster to try to get the color right, then you can work on your type. Next year. Either way, what I do when I'm not sure, is rotate males in with the hens, this way you can cover all your bases. Mark the resulting chicks, and see what they trun out like when feathered up. Say a toe punch on the right foot for the hens with a white rooster, and a toe pucnh on the left for the black project male. Once you see which ones turn out best, you will know better how to continue your work the following year. It can be tricky if you only have a recessive white or project male to work with, as you never know exactly what genes the chicks will inherit.
All either way should be black, but the amount of leakage will be the main concern.
Case in point.
That Cy Hyde male I mentioned with the gold neck, was one of his lavenders crossed to one of his recessive whites, the result was a jet black bird, but with a lot of leakage in the hackle and saddle. So depending on what colors you have on hand, you'll just have to play around with them and see. I'd personally use both those roosters, and just wait and see who turned out best this fall. By then I should have you 1-2 to play with with them.

Yep, thats like what we where talking about with which roo to breed your black hen with Aubrey, Best case senario your white roo would be masking solid black and you could breed her with him and get all nice looking blacks. But if he were masking say Silver Duckwing ( which would be better for crossing to your other duckwing colors) but if he was Silver then you would probably get Silver leakage in your chicks and then with breeding with the roo with gold leakage, you may still get golden leakage in them so like you said it would be better to breed with both and see who turns out better.

Quote:
LOL

I HEAR YA!
I was getting to it, had a lot on my plate when I got in.
That would work fine, though the larger the area , the better the males feather quailty. As if he's confined with hens, they will step on and break his tail and saddles. That's my biggest problem, others stepping on them.

Mine are in huge runs of series of pens all connected for maximum use of the materials.
Each breeder pen is 6 high, 4 wide and 12 long, works good for a couple roosters and 3-6 hens if you dont mind a little tail breakage, really if you are breeding the male, it's gonna happen. Tomebako pens are the only way to prevent it totally.
Higher perches help too, so the tail doesnt sit in the dirt all night.

here's some pics of my over all bantam set up. It over twice as big now, but you can get a feel for how they are penned at least.

IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg

young silver duckwing cockerel

IMG_2480.jpg

IMG_2482.jpg

Back
Top Bottom