Post Phoenix Pics Please

Pics
Quote:
they *Can* but if it's not tall enough and the tails get stepped on by the other chickens they will be ripped off. Also you will need dry bedding that is changed frequently.

How tall the pen is really doesnt matter there, the tails get stepped on a broke when they birds are walking around in the pen.

That is one problems I am going to be correcting this spring when I am home from college and can really modify my coop situation. I have all my Phoenixes in with other chickens and while their tails are still lengthy compared to the other birds', they aren't as long as they could be. I have really lame excuses for roosting spaces and only in one area. Most of the time they are either sitting on their own tails or other chickens are laying on them
barnie.gif
lol.png

Quote:
they *Can* but if it's not tall enough and the tails get stepped on by the other chickens they will be ripped off. Also you will need dry bedding that is changed frequently.

How tall the pen is really doesnt matter there, the tails get stepped on a broke when they birds are walking around in the pen.

Right, but dont you want something tall so they roost any ways to help grow longer tails?

Quote:

Right, but dont you want something tall so they roost any ways to help grow longer tails?

Yep, you definitely want them to be able to roost, it would be mainly to keep their tails off the ground and out of manure and easy reach of predators at night, so it is always good to have high roosts for longtails, but regardless the tail breakage cause by other birds comes just from the birds being on the grond. Like say a phoenix roo is dragging his tail behind him and another one comes and stands on his tail feathers and if he trys to walk, the weight of the bird standing on his tail feather is what pulls them out .

Last edited:
Quote:
From what I've heard they don't mind at all...

no they like it actually. They consider it THEIRS and feel most comfortable in them. This is they way the Japanese have keep the onagadori for centuries, that where it came from, their developed pens for keeping them. Most that have them say that when the daily excercise is over, they will take off back to their box. Similar to how fighting cock do with their little teepee huts folks keep them in.

Quote:

Yep, you definitely want them to be able to roost, it would be mainly to keep their tails off the ground and out of manure and easy reach of predators at night, so it is always good to have high roosts for longtails, but regardless the tail breakage cause by other birds comes just from the birds being on the grown. Like say a phoenix roo is dragging his tail behind him and another one comes and stands on his tail feathers and if he trys to walk, they weight of the bird standing on his tail feather is what pulls them out .

yep, that's the problem, not pen hight itself, the getting stepped on, on the ground is the problem. If they are housed with hens or other roosters, they're gonna get stepped on eventually. Shoot, I've done it too when feeding

Back
Top Bottom