Post Phoenix Pics Please

Pics
yes, tail or no tail, it's the only way unless you just hold them the hole time. Wire cages are what you have to watch, with on the tails, they will get pushed threw , split, and just ratty looking in wire ones while transportsing, , pet taxi's or carboard shipping boxes work very well to combat that.

also, just an FYI, If you ever get one broken at the blood line, or picked at when new are coming in, you need to pull that feather, there have been cases of them bleeding out over broken quills, just incase that ever happens to any of yalls birds along the way. I had one get pecked at this year when he molted, just got 2 feathers, but when I came in from work to feed up (he was white mind you) but it looked like a massacre had happened in the pen. Pulled those two feather and it quit.

I have a question. Two of my Phoenix mix roos, that look really fully Phoenix minus some coloration differences in the feathers, have a small amount of feathers on their legs because of the Silkie blood in them from their father, who was a Silkie/"American Onagadori" cross. If I breed them back to a Phoenix hen, would the offspring have clean legs? The feathers on their legs are very miniscule, small, and hardly noticeable unless you are holding them and look right at their legs and look like they could be simply plucked right out.
lol.png

Quote:
Yeah just cross them back with a clean leg, it should go away.

Back to the transport:

Could one transport in a tomebakus if it was strapped into something like a horse trailer?

Quote:
I have been told that there are three different genes that effect legg feathering so I guess it would depend on which genes get inherited and which ones are hiding. Sussex are a clean leg breed but some of the Austrailian imported ones from Greenfire Farms stock like my roo, still get a little fuzzyness in their leggs that pop up from their Cochin ancestry so that shows how some of the feather legg genes can remain recessive I guess and pop back up in later generations so it would be hard to say whether or not you would get clean leggs but breeding back to a clean leg breed.

I agree with Clint there on the leg feathers.
By almeans, anytime you breed back to a pure bird you are always helping what you have, a lot of times, that's the only way we can get new colors into our breeds, outcross to another breed with the desired traits. Then you have to back cross to correct the error you inherited from the other breed. Some traits are very hard to get rid of though, rose comb comes to mind as an example
But yes, you will not hurt a thing by breeding back to a pure phoenix, though like he said, depending on what genes are there, it may be hard to completely remove altogether.

As for trasporting in a tomebaku, sure if you wanted to. They are 6 feet tall and weigh a lot though, plus depending on the trailer, the wind would most likely shred the tail.
A true tomebaku does have open areas to it, so do most stock trailers, so the wind would eat them up.Plus in the larger area , if he got freaked out from the move, he'd beat himself to death, small containers are best. They restrict their ability to move too much, thus minumising the risk of injury or feather damage.
Pet taxi's and shipping boxes are the safest ways, but what ever works best for you will do.

Also a note on this "American Onagadori" thing again. I'm starting to see it a lot again , folks, honestly, there's no such thing as an american onagadori
there's phoenix and theres onagadori. There are no longer ANY onagadori in the US.
There are a small select group of breeders who have the phoenix x onagadori hybreds, usually referred to as non molters. and all of those originated pretty much from Cy Hyde. If the breeders stock you have didnt originally come out of Cy's birds, then pretty much, they aint got no onagadori in them. Even those that do seldome have more than a trace in them any more, though direct from Cy, you can get some high quality ones.

He termed the phrase" American Onagadori" just to discribe his birds best as to what genetics they had in them, yet now every yahoo on ebay with eggs is selling these birds, or at least calling them that. Without years of dedicated breeding, you'd never know if your birds really even had a trace of onagadori blood in them otherwise, so people are often using this name loosly cause they know it brings big money, so basically my point here is buyer beware when you see someone using this name.

I did just buy a couple pairs of them from Cy, but paid $500 for them too, so with that in mind, I would never let those genes get mixed with another breed or line for that matter. So know what you are buying and do be skeptical when you see people advertising with that name, 9 times out of 10 it's a scam to get more money out of your pocket and into theirs, unless you are dealing with a professional longtail breeder such as Cy, David Rogers, Toni-Marie, etc...
Jobo.com on eBay, not so much...People that have true birds of some onagadori decent are very picky on who gets them as they are a prized bird that needs skilled care givers to get back as pure as possible with what we have to work with here in the states. David has some excellent non molters, but very seldome if ever parts with any, so once again, just be leary when you see that term used to discribe a phoenix, as usually that's all it really is, a phoenix.

Quote:
the "freaked out on the move" makes sense. I was jw, but i believe you when you say the boxes and bet taxies work well! I wouldn't worry
about the wind part, haha my horse trailer has living quarters, not very open. I was just wondering because (before i knew much) about longtails i had designed a transportation coop (actually it resembles a tomebaku) that would roll up into my trailer for transporting chickens with large tails. But a Pet Taxis are so much easier!

Quote:
$5 - $200 all depends on his quality and size, bantams cost more that standard usually. good breeder quality birds average $25- $50 as a general rule. High end breeders and show birds can go threw the roof

Back
Top Bottom