Post Phoenix Pics Please

Pics
you can breed out bad genes over many years, but the thing is, you have to have something good to use to breed them out, cant do it with two lower end birds, you'll just continue to get lower end birds. And with a high end bird, honestly, you wouldnt want to use it to a lower quality, cause the offspring would be lowered in quality.
It's harder to make them better than it is to mess them up unfortunately.

I fully understand the being young and definately the money thing though. Sounds like you may just need to stay with what you have ordered for now, play with them a few years, who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and will get a couple nice ones from them. Once you start breeding and re coop some of your expenses, then try to find you so good quality ones to work with.
That's what I'd do at least. Start with what you can, then work your way up.
Good luck with them

So your plan of attack should be instead of keeping 15 Phoenix, keep a trio of the best 3, sell the rest and use that money to save up to buy a nice breeding pair. This will be a good experience for you to learn about genetics and stuff, keep an optimistic look on it. Also If you can, in stead of getting straight run get 5 males and 10 females this way you will have 5 sets of trios. Like i said keep the best trio you have. Same goes with the Lackendelvers (sp?), keep only the best. It is possible to breed "up" from hatchery stock it will just take more time, but in the long run you will learn alot and when you get them to the point where you want them and being SQ it'll be the best feeling. There are different things that go into breeding and care for longtails that you should look into.

Do you have a Standard of Perfection? They are really really really handy to have.

-Ian

Last edited:
o heard that was a good book. im probably gonna get i soon. i also forgot to mention im splitting the
Phoenixes and lakenvelders with my biuddy. i get 13 phoenixes(straight run) and 5 lakenvelders. he gets the rest. we agreed we'd trade to meet our needs. he doesnt really care as much for what he gets so it works out. i know there is gonna be alot of luck involved but i like to think i am a lucky guy. so we'll have to wait an see. i might look up a couple things about chicken genes. like whats dominant and recessive. i suppose my biology class is being useful haha. thank you for all of y'alls help

Quote:
No problem! Also if you are at a show and you see a Phoenix Cock you like offer to buy just the cock, a lot of times people pair up birds to sell just to get rid of all the extra roos, most of the time you are paying for the Hen and the Cock is just an extra. Because if you put a quality cock with some hatchery stock pullets, the offspring quality should be good, but expect to hatch about 20 chicks each year and then cull down to a trio or two. Look up all the different breeding systems and practices and find one you think will work for your plan. Like i said, if you can, get the 5 males and 5 females. Also the Standard of Perfection is a great book and any breeder and exhibitor of poultry should have one as they are the chicken bible. If you go to an APA show you will see a judge and it's recorder walking around with a standard. It is what ALL birds are judged from.

Best of Luck, glad to see more young people are getting into chickens, Im 18 and my brother is 13 and getting into them too! -Ian

yep, have to agree, it's great to get on here and see some many young folks still interested in the hobby, chickens to exotic birds, it's all good to me.
I started around 8 years old myself, so I know getting going can be hard, but stick with it, stay decicated to your goals with them, and before you know it, you may be a common name in the bird world. Easiest thing to do to be good at it, is not try to get a little of everything, but focus on 1-3 breeds and just work work work with them.
Learn all you can about them, and let perfecting them be your goal. Dont take long, time flies by if you enjoy doing it. If new colors are a goal of yours, check out the chicken calculator. It's pretty easy to work and take out a ton of guess work in the genetics field of it.
Let me know if you have any questions along the way, and be sure to post some pics once you get your new chicks in.

Quote:
Hahahahahaha Did Aubrey just say focus on 1-3 breeds ???? Haha Thats hilarious coming from you. lol Its really good advice thought but REALLY hard to stick to as we both know. But really I guess we dont really have that many breeds planned, I'm only planning to work with about 10 LF Breeds and 4 or 5 bantam breeds, just half a gillion color varieties of those breeds right ??? LOL

And yep, I am also enjoying seeing other young people like me into really breeding birds and not just keeping birds.

Last edited:
LOL

Yep, I did....

even though I have a lot of them, I only focus my main work on the d'anvers , and phoenix . Right now at least, Hoping to add that 3rd one this spring. But yep I do have creveies, silkies, houdans, bcw polish, and sumatras too in my bantams.

Now colors, forget that, LOL As many as possible as far as I'm concerned there....

Quote:
I like tha camo ninja look yall got going on there too, LOL

tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom