Post Phoenix Pics Please

If anyone wants multiple feathering in there phoenix I suggest buying a Ohiki to blend into there phoenix. That's how I made my phoenix bantams...There nice and tiny. I started with large fowl of 6--7 lbs. And a tiny little ohiki but he got the job done. Dwarfism is sex linked and it only took 3 generations to get them tiny and very good phoenix type....And best of all multiple feathered from adding the Ohiki...And another good thing there no kin to any other bantam phoenix in the USA.... There all from my German Import phoenix and import Ohiki........TM

Very good point.. I also made the ohiki cross.. I have several extra phoenix/ohiki roosters.. They are really gorgeous and it makes them so docile. perfect temperaments.

hybrid from my blue phoenix project / ohiki.. young cockerel

phoenix/ohiki cockerel tiny little pretty and check out the saddles coming on..

another phoenix/ohiki hybrid cockerel.. you can see the extra sickles in the tail..

I am encouraged by your post Toni, I was considering the white hotta hens with an ohiki roo... May try it..

yep after getting some from Toni Marie, I did a lot of that with my not so perfect ohiki males this year, man they really boost the tails on them. Got a little brown red cockerel from Toni last year, he's coming out of molt now and looks like a mop this year on the rear end.
It really helps. Plan to do even more of it next year too. I just use the silmer body ones with longer legs but still with good tails. For the most part, those virtually do nothing bad to type, just pack on the feathering

Yes they do for sure....And best of all you don't sacrifice tail or saddle length either... You will do good with those Manderzz for sure. I think Aubrey already did that cross also...TM..

They don't count as retrices, but you can count them to see how many they have. Roosters have multiple sickles and some breeds posses them, ohiki for example so it is helpful for overall appearance. It is important to remember good hens make good roosters! saddles are important on hens as well. Nice full cushion areas with long saddle feathering. They could be multiple feathered, you will just have to count them.. LOL.

We are taking a phoenix to the show this weekend so she had to be washed. After I brought her inside, I counted her tail feathers and not counting the top 2 patterned/sickle feathers, she has 8 on each side.

I always tell people that the hens are way more important than roosters for length and density. A friend of mine that has been trying to breed fly tie style birds always complained that he lost length and number of saddle feathers when he made an outcross. He always talks so much about the roosters but I told him that the hens are what is important to get good density and quality. When we have done breeding projects before, we always use phoenix hens with the other rooster and always get good sons from it

We are taking a phoenix to the show this weekend so she had to be washed. After I brought her inside, I counted her tail feathers and not counting the top 2 patterned/sickle feathers, she has 8 on each side.

I always tell people that the hens are way more important than roosters for length and density. A friend of mine that has been trying to breed fly tie style birds always complained that he lost length and number of saddle feathers when he made an outcross. He always talks so much about the roosters but I told him that the hens are what is important to get good density and quality. When we have done breeding projects before, we always use phoenix hens with the other rooster and always get good sons from it
Great, and that is wonderful advice.. I am in total agreement. Hope she does good at the show!

Well, I put an egg in last night before I shut my darlings in for the night and this morning it's still there. My girls must be taking a break or something. My only production hen(australorp) will be at POL soon, so in least I will be getting a few eggs :p Was hoping to be able to get some eggs in the 'bator to help with my chicken math problems xD I'll post some pics of my girls later, when I can get the stupid thing to download.

I have a very good line of pure fly tie birds and they are laying...The saddles get about 16 inches...But there is NO tails to speak of. I've had these birds for almost 20 years now....any how tell him to contact me...,.There all Barred also and large fowl....TM

Well, I put an egg in last night before I shut my darlings in for the night and this morning it's still there. My girls must be taking a break or something. My only production hen(australorp) will be at POL soon, so in least I will be getting a few eggs :p Was hoping to be able to get some eggs in the 'bator to help with my chicken math problems xD I'll post some pics of my girls later, when I can get the stupid thing to download.
yep they are just on fall break. around here Feb- July is my heaviest months of phoenix production. The rest of the year seems to just be up to them. The extreme heat here in the summer almost always shuts them down, so does the worst of the winter. Usually get a few this time of year since it's cooled off, but it's more hit and miss than being reliable. Come spring you'll be begging for a break in it.

Yes they do for sure....And best of all you don't sacrifice tail or saddle length either... You will do good with those Manderzz for sure. I think Aubrey already did that cross also...TM..
yep did a good bit of it with the few spare parts males I had this year. Got more now from the ohiki breedings from this year, so as good as it works, I'll be doing it to more colors next year. It's really worth the effort for sure. I'd say 90% of my pheonix are from Toni's lines anyway, so they were pretty darn good to start with. But never hurts to keep improving.

another one of those Toni-Marie pointers I couldnt pass up doing haha

Back
Top Bottom