post pics of coop/runs that incorporate a garden?

norahsmommy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 9, 2008
south bend area, Indiana
does anyone have pics of a coop/run that incorporate a garden in some way? I loved the coop by frontporchindiana but am looking for some others to get ideas. We want to house approx. 25 chickens. We are overun with rabbits and deer and I was trying to think of a way to keep chickens in and get fertilizer from them, and keep everything out of my garden at the same time. The plan from frontporchindiana had 2 runs on either side of the coop and they alternate the garden and where the chickens are every year. Another question, does chicken poo damage gardens? I had someone tell me their poo will mess up my garden and burn my plants because its very acidic.

Fresh chicken poo is very "Hot". It is strong nitrogen. It needs to "age" a little before you add it to your garden or it will burn your plants.

However, the bigger problem will be keeping your chickens AWAY from your plants! Scratching and eating green things is the VERY nature of chickens!! They will eat all your new plants in a short time!

Good Luck!

Cindy

oh, I know they will eat my plants, the plan I was thinking of using had 2 seperate runs with the coop in the middle. One side was for the garden and the other run was for the chickens. Then every year you alternate which run was for chickens and which was for the garden. No chickens will get into the garden. I was just wondering if anyone had any pics of something like that

hi...my name is virginia and i live on edisto island in south carolina...i have chickens, ducks, geese and peacocks...i saw this plan on the internet and wanted to try it as my chickens and other flock were tearing up my veggie garden

084.jpg

house on concrete slab makes for easy clean out with hose
086.jpg

kitty litter boxes used as nesting boxes...works great!!!
113.jpg

works for me...will let you know if summer side is to hot with chicken manure...hope this helps you...virginia

#1California Chick :

Fresh chicken poo is very "Hot". It is strong nitrogen. It needs to "age" a little before you add it to your garden or it will burn your plants.

Actually, it needs to compost (decompose) before using. "Age" can be a misleading term. I knew of someone on another forum that shoveled all the dry litter from the coop floor and put it into plastic bags so it could "age" in the shed. Wanted to know when it would be ready to use. Dry, uncomposted manure does not "age" no matter how old it is.

My experiences with chickens inside a growing garden have not been successful ones.

Wayne​

Don't have one and don't have pics of one but have been dreaming of this:

A square garden, fenced with 6 - 8 foot tall fences. The two fences are 3 feet away from each other. The gates are through the S wall of the fences with the coop is in the SW corner. There's a little gate that can be moved from one side to the other of the coop, and a permanent divider at the NE corner.

How does this work?

Deer may be able to jump into the first 3-foot run, but cannot jump over that into the garden -- they need at least 5 feet of run-up to make a 6-foot jump. They can jump in, but can only jump out.

When you want to let the chooks into the garden, you just open that gate. Good for turning over the soil in the winter at least.

The coop can be accessed on two of its walls for cleaning out, gathering eggs, etc.

The permanent divider at the SW corner makes two runs: North and West walls, or South and East walls. The movable gate can let the chickens into either one run or the other, allowing for weeds or planted goodies to grow while the chickens devour the other run's fare.

When you weed, you pull the weeds out of the garden and push them through to the chickens.

I have other ideas, but this was the coolest. Hope it sparks good ideas for you.

I don't have photos, as my coop and run are under construction. Here's what I'm working on.

My garden is fenced with 16' long cattle panels. It is 32' wide by 48' long with 1'x2' woven wire along the bottom.. The two cattle panels on either end are wired to a center post in such a way that I can undo them easily and "swing" them out of the way so that my small tractor with roto tiller attachment has access to the garden when needed. Aprox 15' from one end is the start of a fenced chicken area 32'wide by 54'long. (Inside of this area is my coop with a predator proof 12' x 16' run.) Because of the close proximatey, when the garden is finished for the season I can swing open the gates of the garden enclosure to butt against the chicken enclosure. This allows garden access and in effect almost doubles the total free ranging area for the chickens.

In theory it sounds great. I hope it works this summer!

Back
Top Bottom