post processing .... questions. it's been awhile!

Autumn Mama

Songster
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
British Columbia,
hi all,

we have 7 roosters in a cooler of cold water, with some ice. they have been there around 30 hours, immediately following slaughter. i need to know that they are fine in the cooler of icy water, as i don't have room in my fridge for that many. :)

what should i do next? and at what timeline?

thanks so much!

Not if it's cold enough to not grow bacteria. I soak mine for three days, add salt last 24 hours for brine. 6 to 7 ounces of salt by weight per gallon of water will be a good brine for 24 hours. Less time requires more salt for same effect.

I rest mine on ice/salt for 3+ days. If they get submerged, essentially they are being brined with the amount of salt I add. I do try to drain the water every day or every other day though, and add more salt/ice.

I do the same for my deer, but I leave my deer in the cooler for 10-14 days.

Oh ya gotta brine em if young and going on the grill. 12-14 weeks. ANd if older than 8 months you can still roast if you brine them. A mild brine gets the job done without over saltly flavor most brine recipies call for.

hi all,

we have 7 roosters in a cooler of cold water, with some ice. they have been there around 30 hours, immediately following slaughter. i need to know that they are fine in the cooler of icy water, as i don't have room in my fridge for that many. :)

what should i do next? and at what timeline?

thanks so much!
Cooler should be fine as long as you keep ice on them and refresh as necessary. I let mine rest for 4 days.

Back
Top Bottom