post your chicken coop pictures here!

Here is my chicken coop. I am located on the Seacoast of New Hampshire. I have 5 chickens and 3 ducks that all live in this coop and run. I build this back in the early part of 2015. If I had a chance to build this again I would make the coop. inside area for the chickens bigger. Especially since I live in NH where we get a good amount of snow, I feel guilty when they are all cooped up in the winter. I would also give them more outside space that is covered. I do plan to make these changes some time in the near future.

Good luck with your chicken journey!

Here is my chicken coop. I am located on the Seacoast of New Hampshire. I have 5 chickens and 3 ducks that all live in this coop and run. I build this back in the early part of 2015. If I had a chance to build this again I would make the coop. inside area for the chickens bigger. Especially since I live in NH where we get a good amount of snow, I feel guilty when they are all cooped up in the winter. I would also give them more outside space that is covered. I do plan to make these changes some time in the near future. Good luck with your chicken journey!
Wow it looks great! Hopefully you can make your changes you want soon :) Also, I'm in Massachusetts so howdy, almost neighbor! Haha

I too am unwillingly feeding some birds.White-crowned Sparrows hop right in through the little door and help themselves. I'm not sure what I can do about it. Hopefully they don't eat much.

Sylvester017 and Geezer
I'm on the other side of opinion.
lau.gif

This is what I do and have no wild birds in my coop.

900x900px-LL-1b8fd1f7_0308151630-00.jpeg

Here is my chicken coop. I am located on the Seacoast of New Hampshire. I have 5 chickens and 3 ducks that all live in this coop and run. I build this back in the early part of 2015. If I had a chance to build this again I would make the coop. inside area for the chickens bigger. Especially since I live in NH where we get a good amount of snow, I feel guilty when they are all cooped up in the winter. I would also give them more outside space that is covered. I do plan to make these changes some time in the near future.

Good luck with your chicken journey!

welcome-byc.gif

That's an awesome coop and run! Chickens or ducks in an enclosed housing can cause some ammonia problems so I understand your wanting to make some modifications! Chickeneers usually use the formula of 1-sq-ft per chicken open ventilation under the roofline, 4-sq-ft per chicken floor space inside a coop, and 10-sq-ft per chicken pen/foraging space and these are just the minimum. For snow/winter conditions more coop space is required for housing because of the amount of time chickens will spend inside to avoid the cold. Your coop and yard and trees are so-o-o scenic and beautiful.

I too am unwillingly feeding some birds.White-crowned Sparrows hop right in through the little door and help themselves. I'm not sure what I can do about it. Hopefully they don't eat much.
It wasn't so much that the wild birds eat that much, although when they come in droves of 50 in their flock they can devastate feed in 10 minutes or less. The Sparrows are the worst. The Sparrows attack and kill other benign bird species What bothered me more than their eating our feed is that they left their poop all over our lawn furniture and patios, pooped inside water and polluted the chicken water bowls, they bring in their feather lice (have you ever seen how many feather lice swarm on a baby Sparrow?), and they are carriers of bacteria and viruses and parasites that can transfer to poultry -- as if chickens didn't have enough diseases floating in the wind or from farm to farm. I try to keep the wild bird populations down. I used to love wild birds but not when they started polluting my chickens' space. I hate possums and raccoons just as much, of course, for different reasons. Treadle feeders, clanger/dispenser feeders, and nipple valve waterers are the only way to stop feeding the wild birds -- if they don't have a food source their numbers dwindle down considerably. Someone posted a youtube video about a very simple easy-to-make chicken feeder that the wild birds can't get to except the poster used a one-gallon ACE Hardware white bucket instead - the video shows a 5-gallon LOWE's bucket:

Last edited:
Sylvester017 and Geezer
I'm on the other side of opinion.
lau.gif

This is what I do and have no wild birds in my coop.

900x900px-LL-1b8fd1f7_0308151630-00.jpeg
You probably have benign wild bird species in your climate. In our West Coast warm area we are inundated with wild House Sparrows which were not indigenous to the USA but were originally imported as cage pets and now they are an over-populated scourge. They don't migrate so their population explodes in one area if they have a food source. I don't mind feeding the migratory Hummingbirds but the House Sparrows are chasing and killing all the good wild bird species. House Sparrows will gang up on a Crow by pooping on it until it is too wet to fly. Now we happen to like Crows for keeping away the Cooper's Hawk (Chicken Hawk) from our yard so Sparrows are not on my "good" list of birds.

You probably have benign wild bird species in your climate. In our West Coast warm area we are inundated with wild House Sparrows which were not indigenous to the USA but were originally imported as cage pets and now they are an over-populated scourge. They don't migrate so their population explodes in one area if they have a food source. I don't mind feeding the migratory Hummingbirds but the House Sparrows are chasing and killing all the good wild bird species. House Sparrows will gang up on a Crow by pooping on it until it is too wet to fly. Now we happen to like Crows for keeping away the Cooper's Hawk (Chicken Hawk) from our yard so Sparrows are not on my "good" list of birds.
We also have introduced sparrows here.Drive me nuts!Currently working on finishing the permanent run with a roof.Agree with your previous post also with disease etc also.

Back
Top Bottom