post your chicken coop pictures here!

I have my roost about 2' up. I have an big English Orpington with toes about as long as my fingers. When she would jump off the higher roost, the thump was so hard I could feel the floor shake. She is one big girl and I was afraid she would hurt herself.

The fans do help a lot.

That tree is hawk protection. I lost my salmon faverolles to one a couple months ago and am now grateful for every single tree that I have. That was my first death and it was gruesome.

coop question, the 4 young hens i have go up to the coop at night, but they all sit nearly on top of each other where they can look out the door. they don't go to the roost pole or the nest boxes? Do you think it needs more ventilation?

coop question, the 4 young hens i have go up to the coop at night, but they all sit nearly on top of each other where they can look out the door. they don't go to the roost pole or the nest boxes? Do you think it needs more ventilation?

How old is the coop? How old are the birds? I have birds that have a perfectly good coop, and choose to roost outside when it is warm. They are safe from predators when they do this, but I still worry. Ventilation may be a problem, but some birds just like the outdoors. When chickens were in the wild, they would prefer to sleep up in the trees, although I guarantee, they thank us for the coops in the winter!!

Is that like a rousting pole outside your coup? Seems like a good idea. I will try it. Thanks...

For an outside roosting pole we used a 5' long plank with a cinder block at each end. The plank fits through the holes in the cinder blocks. Easy to move around the yard if the shade moves during the seasons. We have ours set up under a popup canopy. It's about 15" off the ground so the Silkies can reach it as well as LF.

the coop is new, finished just in time for the 'started pullets' to arrive April 26. I don't know too if the fact that I have lots of wheat straw to use and they are used to ??? shavings???

I find my hens like a view so that could be why your chickens are piling up near the door. My girls also prefer the nestbox nearest the door. The nestboxes are private little round holed entrances but it's like a room with a view for them by the door! When I get a new coop I'm going to make sure there's a window at both ends of the roost area so everyone has a chance to have a view.

the coop is new, finished just in time for the 'started pullets' to arrive April 26. I don't know too if the fact that I have lots of wheat straw to use and they are used to ??? shavings???

They won't be fussy about it. When I bought my Silkie I had no idea what she was accustomed to at just about 3 months old. It didn't matter what she was used to because she was a house chicken in diapers for another 3 months before we introduced her to the flock. They will adapt. Chickens will get used to their new surroundings whatever is provided for them.

I just showed this post and your answer to my hubby and he loved the idea! This site is so good for helping us newbies that have no idea what we are doing. Thank you so much, Jonnie
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom