post your chicken coop pictures here!

This was the longest, most tedious process we have undertaken in a long time. But it was worth it. Here is the video.

0.jpg

We 've been butted by everything including roos and geese (but that's what made the roos/geese such good watchdogs). A little different getting butted from behind by a 100-lb+ goat or sheep! I think Spring makes all the animals go a bit haywire.

Our folks' farm was an experiment for 15 years and ultimately everything was sold off and the orchards went fallow. It was fun and I still consider myself a farm girl but too old to tackle that kind of experiment nowadays.

Good thing your sheep are in their arthritic years and that there's no bouncy offspring. Keep the chickens penned before letting out the sheep in the morns and that'll be less stress for the chickens' morning egg laying routine - at least that's when most of our 4 hens like to lay.

Do you sell the wool or use for crafts? Both? Fascinating to keep those skills active as it's a lost art.

I spin the wool, I'm teaching myself how to use natural dyes, and then I weave the yarn and make scarves, blankets and shawls for my family and for anyone else that likes them!

We 've been butted by everything including roos and geese (but that's what made the roos/geese such good watchdogs). A little different getting butted from behind by a 100-lb+ goat or sheep! I think Spring makes all the animals go a bit haywire.

Our folks' farm was an experiment for 15 years and ultimately everything was sold off and the orchards went fallow. It was fun and I still consider myself a farm girl but too old to tackle that kind of experiment nowadays.

Good thing your sheep are in their arthritic years and that there's no bouncy offspring. Keep the chickens penned before letting out the sheep in the morns and that'll be less stress for the chickens' morning egg laying routine - at least that's when most of our 4 hens like to lay.

Do you sell the wool or use for crafts? Both? Fascinating to keep those skills active as it's a lost art.

I agree about the lost arts thing. But I'm thinking that some time soon people will apply the way they feel about their food to the way they feel about their fabrics: clothing, bedding, rugs etc. and they will want that product to be local, natural, organic, and in support of local craftspeople. Anyway, that's what we do now for ourselves, and hopefully it will catch on.

[/IMG]

Still need to do the trim work, but I think the girls will be outside tomorrow. Hoping they are fast learners and the electric poultry netting doesn't " bite" them too many times.

Last edited:
we have moved our 6 young peeps 3 wks old, out to the shed in a fenced in box on 4 sides plus the top has little screen doors that you pull up, then we have the next size peeps 16 that are 10 weeks old, in our screen house with a small area fenced in so they can get outside, looking for another camper to fix into a coop like the last one, which has 21 hens and 1 roos.

[/URL]

Still need to do the trim work, but I think the girls will be outside tomorrow. Hoping they are fast learners and the electric poultry netting doesn't " bite" them too many times.
Lookin good!
clap.gif
Looks like some pretty heavy woods back there... Do you anticipate predators? That electric fence might stop ground movers, but aerial threats... not so much
barnie.gif
Anyway, I'm sure your girls will like all that space to run around in
D.gif
Oh, and
welcome-byc.gif

Yes raccoons foxes and bobcats. :-/ the coop is 6 1/2 foot x 5 feet plus the nest boxes. I have 3 shelter boxes going in the yard and in the center of the yard is an 80 foot aspen tree which the branches spread out over most of the area, and offer protection from the air assault forces. We had a great horned owl living out just behind the house but it has moved on, we havn't seen it this year. Hoping the weather warms up fast so the leaves come in on the tree.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom