post your chicken coop pictures here!

It is adorable. Great idea for hanging the feed and water. I'd say $200 is a bargain. Mine was a lot more, and yours is just as nice. I think my setup is my birthday, anniversary and Christmas gift for the next few years. ;)
I suggest quoting the post you are replying to, makes it easier follow to whom your reply was pointed. Just click the button at the bottom right side of the post that has a large quotation mark and the text "quote" on it.

Welcome to BYC!

Thanks. They have a larger pen on the side of my property that they spend most of the day in. This is just their night/bad weather coop. Hard to tell in the photo but I can't get past the run with a wheel barrow if I bring it out further...which I need to be able to do to get to my garden. :)

I used wood screws with fender washers EVERYwhere....don't trust staples at all...JMHO

Depends what KIND of staples. If you have ever tried to pull a poultry staple out of wood, it would be clear that they are well more than adequate for the job. The hardware cloth will rip a lifetime before the staple will pull out.

All finished!!! There could be more trim work and added and overall perfecting, but I really need to take a break from building!! You can see the greenhouse that's attached to the enclosure. At some point, I may remove the glass that separates the greenhouse from the enclosure, but for now, I'm done building. The bug may hit again as the winter starts to close in, and I'll work on it more at that point. The glass doors are quite heavy as is the front and back panels. I need to scrounge some storm windows to use as the roof. I thought about using one of the glass panels as the roof, but it was so heavy, that I feared injuring myself trying to get it into position. I attached chicken wire to the triangles in the enclosure roof and worked on the feeding station (to the right of the coop in the first pic). You can get to the food and water from the front without having to open a door; the chicken wire goes around behind the top of the station, and the hardware cloth is in front of the station. I'm so very pleased with the coop! These eggs had BETTER be good!!! ;)

Looks like you've done well and with all the south facing glass, probably won't go broke complying with the ABSOLUTELY STUPID zoning rules that the coop be 33F or higher.
Only concern is the gap in the side wall. Is that just summer ventilation that can be covered in the winter? I think it might lead to cold drafts over the birds.

Here's mine. Coop was about $200. Run was $50. Chickens were $86 and an hour away (yikes). Let's just say this was my anniversary present.
roll.png

I think you might want bigger wheels, gonna be hard to push it when the ground is wet.

Getting there. Should be done by the end of the week as long as the rain holds out...

Make sure you put a gutter on the roof over the run during "non snow" seasons or that will be a really messy place.

Thank you for your concern about the gap in the side wall. The shower door will be removed all summer long, and during the winter, I intended to keep the gap for ventilation. The birds will be in the north half of the coop which is cozy but big enough to accommodate four or five birds. I did run the electrical, and the heating bulb is hanging there ready to turn on, but I suspect the birds will keep themselves warm. Do you think the thermocube will work with the timer?

Depends what KIND of staples. If you have ever tried to pull a poultry staple out of wood, it would be clear that they are well more than adequate for the job. The hardware cloth will rip a lifetime before the staple will pull out.
Mine has what I think are called poultry staples. They are the long U-shaped nails that have to be hammered in by hand. We had these attaching the hardware cloth to our rabbit hutch and it kept the rabbits safe for 12 years. I'll try to post a picture of one of the poultry staples tomorrow. Got rid of that hutch when the last pet rabbit died. Wish I had kept it!

Carved out some time after work today to get some more done on the coop, and yep, the run portion will be roofed. I'm in FL so no worries about snow or extreme cold weather so my design is open air for good ventilation, with enough cover to keep the rain out.

Carved out some time after work today to get some more done on the coop, and yep, the run portion will be roofed. I'm in FL so no worries about snow or extreme cold weather so my design is open air for good ventilation, with enough cover to keep the rain out.

I love beautiful lush landscaping. We are constantly working on our yard with the foraging chickens in mind. Have you ever researched what plants are toxic vs. safe for chickens? It's amazing all the things they can or can't have in a foraging environment. I invested in the paperback book "Free-Range Chicken Gardens" because I have no idea what is safe vs. toxic. It surprised me that the tomato vines and leaves are toxic to both humans and chickens but that the fruit itself was ok - who knew? I had to be sure to keep a Leghorn out of the raised garden bed because she loved eating the tomato leaves!

Back
Top Bottom