post your chicken coop pictures here!

Got one coop that has no overhang for the egg door or the door I reach in to water/feed.....so regret that. Always get drenched. Made a point of putting overhangs on this new one!!!
There are awnings at the hardware stores in different configurations and sizes that could be hung or custom built over the eggbox lid. We just erected a pop-up canopy 9x9' over our coop to keep out rain.

I very interested in this but I haven't bought any yet. I did buy some oxine to spray but I have been getting mixed results on different people talking about it.
pop.gif

For lice/mite prevention the OMRI Mana-Pro Poultry Protector is organic and does the job so I don't use anything else on coop or chickens.

Chickens will take a dust-bath in almost anything soft.  I had a chick that took a dust bath in my hair net that was on the table.  I had a Silkie that took her dust bath on our door mat.  It's instinct for chickens to take dust baths and anything soft gives them the urge to dust-bathe.

There's a post on here from someone in Washington who has hardwire bottom about 1/2 inch I think and you know WA gets really cool.  He's near the coast and doesn't get the freezing weather.  If it gets cold in AL then have a slide out bottom under the wire for the winter months and keep the slide-out bottom off during summer.  Just plan on a slide out tray before you start your build.

Got to count on the COST!!! I'm using mainly recycled wood.

Got to count on the COST!!! I'm using mainly recycled wood.

Maybe a garage oil catch-drip pan will work placed on a couple wood slats directly under the wire bottom. It will slide in and out. Keep the wind out in the winter but still catch the poops. A lot of pre-fab coops and custom coops are being built with some sore of slide-out clean-out trays. Look at the Amish coops to see the optional clean out lids below the roosting perches. There are all sorts of things you can do to make clean-up easier without spending lots of money. Just have to think about the most cost-effective method for helping you clean-out your coop. You'll thank yourself years later if the clean-out is made easier and will be healthier for the chickens as well.

Maybe a garage oil catch-drip pan will work placed on a couple wood slats directly under the wire bottom.  It will slide in and out.  Keep the wind out in the winter but still catch the poops.  A lot of pre-fab coops and custom coops are being built with some sore of slide-out clean-out trays.  Look at the Amish coops to see the optional clean out lids below the roosting perches.  There are all sorts of things you can do to make clean-up easier without spending lots of money.  Just have to think about the most cost-effective method for helping you clean-out your coop.  You'll thank yourself years later if the clean-out is made easier and will be healthier for the chickens as well.

I wonder if just closing in the bottom under the coop with a removable piece of plywood and having a drop cloth under the roost perch that can be pulled out, dumped in the compost, washed off then put back will work... Adding a little of the sweet PDZ on the tarp will keep the ammonia down!!!!

No rooster, who attacks humans, especially little ones, should be allowed to continue the behavior...soup pot for him!
Keep him around until you have your new roos. Then see if he would attack you again while they're watching. If he does, then its the soup pot for him and make sure the other roos are watching. See if they're smart enough to figure out that it doesn't pay to mess with the "Great Giver of Treats". For the Giver can Giveth, and the Giver can Taketh!!
wink.png

Last edited:
Thanks
thumbsup.gif

I wonder if just closing in the bottom under the coop with a removable piece of plywood and having a drop cloth under the roost perch that can be pulled out, dumped in the compost, washed off then put back will work... Adding a little of the sweet PDZ on the tarp will keep the ammonia down!!!!

The plywood idea sounds great. I wouldn't use a drop cloth or tarp because chickens are always scratching around and catching things in their toesnails. I would suggest going to a fabric store or craft store where they sell rolls of the stiffest heaviest gauge clear vinyl and buy a yard or two. I get this heaviest vinyl because it doesn't buckle up or wrinkle or fold over itself - a screw or nail in each corner to attach the vinyl to a slide out tray would also work. Another idea are those plastic floor runners that are about 20 inches wide and about 6 feet long that people use to cover floors where there's heavy foot traffic - it could easily be cut to size with heavy-duty shears and it's sturdy and something the chickens can't move around from all their scratching - dropcloth or tarp would be too flimsy. I've also seen people build their own litter tray out of scrap wood with one or two inch tall sides to keep the litter in the tray and then place it under the perch - a drop lid can be cut into the side of the coop where the PDZ tray can be easily accessed for sliding out for cleaning. You have all sorts of possibilities. We search our neighborhood on trash days to find scrap wood and stuff to use for the chickens. All our low shelters in the free-range yard are made out of salvaged headboards, broken tables, cupboards, etc. Both the doghouses that our chickens use outside for shelters were recycled or donated to us.

Last edited:
Keep him around until you have your new roos.  Then see if he would attack you again while they're watching.  If he does, then its the soup pot for him and make sure the other roos are watching.  See if they're smart enough to figure out that it doesn't pay to mess with the "Great Giver of Treats".  For the Giver can Giveth, and the Giver can Taketh!!  ;)  

I'm trying to find a nice calm roo that's been hand raised around kids.... Free would be great lol...

The plywood idea sounds great.  I wouldn't use a drop cloth or tarp because chickens are always scratching around and catching things in their toesnails.  I would suggest going to a fabric store or craft store where they sell rolls of the stiffest heaviest gauge clear vinyl and buy a yard or two.  I get this heaviest vinyl because it doesn't buckle up or wrinkle or fold over itself - a screw or nail in each corner to attach the vinyl to a slide out tray would also work.  Another idea are those plastic floor runners that are about 20 inches wide and about 6 feet long that people use to cover floors where there's heavy foot traffic - it could easily be cut to size with heavy-duty shears and it's sturdy and something the chickens can't move around from all their scratching - dropcloth or tarp would be too flimsy.  I've also seen people build their own litter tray out of scrap wood with one or two inch tall sides to keep the litter in the tray and then place it under the perch - a drop lid can be cut into the side of the coop where the PDZ tray can be easily accessed for sliding out for cleaning.  You have all sorts of possibilities.  We search our neighborhood on trash days to find scrap wood and stuff to use for the chickens.  All our low shelters in the free-range yard are made out of salvaged headboards, broken tables, cupboards, etc.  Both the doghouses that our chickens use outside for shelters were recycled or donated to us.

:goodpost:
I like that ... I'll be looking at designs this week and if my husband comes up with another excuse he may come home to find it all ready built lol...

Back
Top Bottom