post your chicken coop pictures here!

Mine were in their closed run, which is surrounded by an electric fence and a hot wire outside that.

The dog wasn't bothering them, it's just the fact that she lets him rush the area and is so clueless that it stresses them. Same with people that bring children. It's not a zoo!

I would never dream of taking my dogs or kids around someone's livestock, especially without asking!

Adding in.....not new to chook keeping. This is just my NEWEST coop.

Familiar to predators and critter issues.

Last edited:
That makes me chuckle. This will be my first silkies.

Chuckling aside I still think it's a good idea to keep Silkies separated from large fowl. Silkies are not afraid for their diminutive size but they still could get hurt by bigger birds. We have a gentle Ameraucana (my avatar) but she is so spooky klutzy that she clumsily knocked one Silkie from the nestbox ledge and we had to take the Silkie to the vet for bruising - she couldn't walk she was so sore. Silkies jump well but flying is not possible so she hit the dirt floor with a thud, poor thing. We had to put in a wider ramp so there's something to grab hold of now.

Thanks for the idea... I've decided that if this husband of mine decides to go HUNTING this weekend.... ILL BUILD IT MYSELF. And he can just deal with it!!!
barnie.gif

I've lost birds now for goodness sake... My poor daughter asked me why the dog tried to eat them... My husband told her that the dog wanted chicken nuggets but couldn't go to McDonalds so she tried to eat them whole....
You go girl !! If this 65 yr old disabled retiree can do it.....you sure can. Check out my "Chickadee Club",,,it has my story and challenges. When the weather brings warmer weather, I will be remodeling my small coop so it will be closed in (only 3 sides now) because I'm going to literally raise the roof & Give the girls some head room and be able to close them up at night. I'm anxious to see you picts.. You can do it!!

Another 8 hour work day, but I love it! So quiet and peaceful,except for me swinging a 20 ounce hammer. Lol!

Tomorrow the large side walls and back wall.

I have four more window studs and a stud support over the pop door to do first thing in the morning, but then I'll tackle the next walls. I would have had them done today ( the window and pop door studs) but for a visit from our local Mrs. CRAVITZ, being nosey and chatty. Oh and she brings her ratty little ankle biter dog. Ugh, WHO does that? Keep your dog away from my chicken yard!

Phew.

You are showing your age with the Mrs. Kravitz reference and I'm showing mine by recognizing it
smile.png

Quote:

lau.gif
barnie.gif
I remember Gladys Kravitz! Used to watch bewitched every afternoon as a child.
old.gif
I bet you were feeling kinda like this --->
smack.gif
Starting to look good there. Nice to keep us posted!
caf.gif

Um, is that an old picture of you in your avatar? You don't look NEARLY old enough to remember Mrs. Kravitz, not first run anyway.

She even has the same voice and hair!

All her conversations are prying and her comments are loaded opinions.

Drives me bonkers.

Oh and another neighbor from 3/4 mile down the road stopped by, sans KIDS this time. Awesome. Usually she's got three toddlers in tow, who chase chickens and don't listen at all.

I'm not running a petting zoo.

Does anyone sell ' do not approach the chickens' and 'poultry bio security in effect, stay back' signs?

I want some!

Same as the first Mrs. Kravitz or the second??

I think you need not signs but a stick. Maybe for the kids or dog but probably for the mother/owner. Every time the kids chase the chickens, hit the mother with the stick. I bet they stop chasing the chickens
wink.png

You are showing your age with the Mrs. Kravitz reference and I'm showing mine by recognizing it :)

Um, is that an old picture of you in your avatar? You don't look NEARLY old enough to remember Mrs. Kravitz, not first run anyway.

Same as the first Mrs. Kravitz or the second??

I think you need not signs but a stick. Maybe for the kids or dog but probably for the mother/owner. Every time the kids chase the chickens, hit the mother with the stick. I bet they stop chasing the chickens ;)

I think I like this one Best!!!

Hmmm, that got confusing because the things I was responding to aren't quoted in your post. I think not nesting the quotes is a BYC thing. The age of the avatar picture question was to Latestarter and I don't know if your reply was to that or some other part of the quoted post!

Last edited:
I have four more window studs and a stud support over the pop door to do first thing in the morning, but then I'll tackle the next walls. I would have had them done today ( the window and pop door studs) but for a visit from our local Mrs. CRAVITZ, being nosey and chatty. Oh and she brings her ratty little ankle biter dog. Ugh, WHO does that? Keep your dog away from my chicken yard!

I used to have a boss that was SO good at showing people the door and simultaneously making them feel like he was SO happy they dropped by uninvited. As soon as he saw them coming he'd break into a huge smile, rush toward them saying how great it was to see them, meanwhile his arms would be in the herding position ... and he'd reverse their progress and sweep them away to a safe distance without breaking stride. Hysterical, and effective. He'd be back at work in under 10 seconds. Such a good life skill. They should teach it in kindergarden.

Back
Top Bottom