post your chicken coop pictures here!

I never seen one so big.... enough room for five hens?

I always liked the efficient construction and well thought out layout...

Is it a tractor or fixed.

deb

Hi Perchie - all the Eglu's come standard with wheels and it's up to the owner to decide whether to set it up in a locked position or use it as a tractor. The runs have optional extensions but after a certain length it gets a bit troublesome to use it as a tractor. Just like any setup - there are pros and cons. The Eglu's have a great idea - just too much plastic for my liking. I'm old fashioned and prefer more wood than plastic, and homemade soup rather than canned -
wink.png

No different than fiberglass.

I am a plastics and metal kind of gal. any way I like the design its not practical for me. But it works in many situations.

deb

We came close to getting the Eggstreme Fiberglass Coop but really didn't like that there was no cleanout lid offered on the size coop we wanted or that the coop was so low to the ground. We're too old to go climbing inside a 5-foot coop to clean. The ChickenCondos Barn Coop/Run we have on order has its drawbacks too but some nice features and easy assembly won out. Supposedly the kit is arriving on a pallet tomorrow afternoon. DH is working through the weekend so we probably won't have it assembled until sometime next week -- to snap a photo for the thread.

Quote:
I am glad you chose not to do the fiberglass. I have worked with it and it always leaves you itchy... Its psychosomatic with me.... I worked in a sweat shop the summer between high school and college sewing Curtains. Some sets were fireproof. And made of fiberglass. there was always fiberglass in the air.... shudder.

Then later when I started working in manufacturing Machine shops and such... That was when Composite materials were coming to the forefront of manufacturing. I worked for a fellow that invented the process to create Carbon fiber composite racquetball and tennis rackets.... we were manufacturing spars for Helicopter blades... I still itched.

Give me plain old HDPE any time I am a happy camper. High Density Polyethylene... Or polycarbonate. ABS PVC.... Even Polystyrene... Not a fan of plexiglass its inferior for most projects except decorative stuff.

Oops.. I digress.

Wood is good.... LOL. Though it does have drawbacks.

deb

d

I am glad you chose not to do the fiberglass. I have worked with it and it always leaves you itchy... Its psychosomatic with me.... I worked in a sweat shop the summer between high school and college sewing Curtains. Some sets were fireproof. And made of fiberglass. there was always fiberglass in the air.... shudder.

Then later when I started working in manufacturing Machine shops and such... That was when Composite materials were coming to the forefront of manufacturing. I worked for a fellow that invented the process to create Carbon fiber composite racquetball and tennis rackets.... we were manufacturing spars for Helicopter blades... I still itched.

Give me plain old HDPE any time I am a happy camper. High Density Polyethylene... Or polycarbonate. ABS PVC.... Even Polystyrene... Not a fan of plexiglass its inferior for most projects except decorative stuff.

Oops.. I digress.

Wood is good.... LOL. Though it does have drawbacks.

deb

d

Hi d - I was a seamstress for many years - wedding dresses, etc. Once in the '70s I made Fiberglass Curtains - it was difficult working with the fabric, a bit stiff, and like you say there's irritation to the skin.

Besides the inconvenience of the style and no cleanout lid for the model we wanted the Eggstreme Coops didn't look very put together - there were gaps in the strips connecting the walls and we saw problems of washing the floors with the possibility of mold building up in the gaps and crevices. I have never liked solid floors for chicken coops and prefer a dirt floor. We have the luxury of having dirt floors because of our warm SoCal climate.

Yes, wood has its drawbacks too - just look at OSB. Supposedly there are wood walls inside our new coop with plastic shed siding on the outside and a metal roof and nestbox lid. If the interior "wood" looks suspiciously cheap we plan to seal/paint it as a precaution. This has got to be our last coop investment as we are getting on in our years. As I said I don't like solid floors for chickens and we ordered a coop that has two slide out trays - one solid and one mesh - one for winter/one for summer - plus the option for the chickens to go under the coop onto grass or dirt. Not a real problem since they free-range but it's nice to have the option. We're getting a block wall around the property so I see the hens having to be stir-crazy penned up for a couple weeks while construction is going on.

I actually don't mind plexiglass. I trust it more than actual glass. We had an OCD hen that scratches in the wood nestboxes until her toes bleed - she's already permanently lost 3 toenails! I didn't know a chicken could be neurotic but we've got one - a sweet tame energetic OCD little Silkie. So we toodled down to Lowe's and had a plexiglass cut-up into our nestbox dimensions and now there's no more bleeding toes. It took a while for all the hens to get used to the slippery nestbox floors and they were doing splits and sliding around for a couple days but they've all mastered the boxes now - we use extra straw in them. Plexiglass makes it easier to clean up poops or an occasional broken egg. The edges of plexiglass and regular glass are rough and dangerous but with the nestbox plexiglass pieces flush with the floor/walls there's no danger. The new coop has removeable plastic nestboxes so we'll see how they work out.

Update on the progress of our new chickie coop. It is way beyond anything I had ever dreamed of. My hubby is amazing. He's been listening to everything I keep showing him and saying "isn't this cool". Still have some trim work to do on the outside and lots on the inside, but it's coming along.

Oh, I don't know if I posted a picture of the bunny tractor I made. Should also work for bantams.

It's made of compost panels. The hutch part folds together too, but I left it assembled now. The whole thing stores in about 2½ x 3 x ½ feet. The run can be made longer in 28" segments, the width is 36" and height about 28".

Your bunny hutch looks great! This is also nice to have for chicks/isolation ward. : )

Back
Top Bottom