post your chicken coop pictures here!

Hi Serena D - I forgot to add when we got our little 4x6 coop we placed it on a paver stone patio and then rest the bottom of the coop foundation on treated 2x4's so when it rained there wouldn't be a bunch of water/mud seeping into the coop floor or puddle damage to the supporting studs of the coop structure. It didn't totally keep out water on the edges but the center stayed dry even during gully-washers. A pop-up canopy and tarps over the coop are a huge help for added protection. Since your shed roof slopes toward your little coop the rain will pour onto your coop from the shed roof. This is one of the reasons we positioned our little coop 3 feet away from the garage wall. We have rain gutters around the roof but in heavy rain the gutters can't handle the volume of water and our coop would've been drenched if we didn't have the foresight to keep it a few feet away from the garage wall.

[/IMG]

New coop I just built with a side for the Muscovy ducks and a side for the chickens. Currently have 2 female 1hr old ducks on the one side and 6 ducklings and young silkie on the other. Soon be time to put all the ducks together and hope the adults don't kill the ducklings

As a new chicken family we are in the process of designing a coop. Weeks of going back and forth on designs with my husband, and he blurts out "what about the kids playhouse?". My children are too grown for it anymore and it's just taking up space. My question is... As a starting foundation, would this actually work for a coop for 13 chickens. We would enclose it, add a few ramps, etc... But would the chickens happily use this as their home? (sorry the picture isn't the greatest, it was taken at night )

[/URL]

New coop I just built with a side for the Muscovy ducks and a side for the chickens. Currently have 2 female 1hr old ducks on the one side and 6 ducklings and young silkie on the other. Soon be time to put all the ducks together and hope the adults don't kill the ducklings
I wait until juveniles are 4 or 5 months old before introducing to older birds - that way the juvies are at least as physically large as the adults. I'd be more worried about the single young Silkie around ducks that will double the Silkie's size in no time. Silkies only get to 2-lb and ducks get up to 5-6 lb.

I need advice. Is this coop big enough for 4 adult hens? My girls are still young now.
Is it ok to keep the coop on the north side of the shed year round? Should we move it to a sunny location during the cold months here in CO? They are free range most of the day and every evening. The entire yard is their range and they are still supervised at this age.
Also, we have had so much rain that the areas set aside for dust baths have turned to mud. If this weather continues, do I need to create a dry dust bath for them? Like a kid-sandbox or something?
Hope I posted this in the correct forum. :)
Any help is appreciated. I'm a first-timer.

welcome-byc.gif

To add to LateStarter's comments, consider that in the winter the birds will not likely range into the snow much. Mine will sometimes but really prefer not to. Thus they will be confined to whatever non snow covered areas you have and that could be a problem if the only option is the coop. Personally I would consider moving is to where it gets sun in the winter and if there are no windows in it, perhaps add some. We all like light, especially in the winter.

You might consider making a decently large covered run for the winter. If you can get them to your house, 16'x4' cattle panels have been very successful for people. The large gauge wire makes a self supporting arch. Anchor the corners and add as many as you want to make a "Quonset Hut". If Blooie doesn't mind (too late
wink.png
), I will mention that she used plastic lattice over the top to protect the plastic above from chafing. All I've read says these runs are spacious, nicely lighted and draft free in the cold winter months. You can roll up the bottom of the plastic for ventilation in warmer weather. You know your predators so keep them in mind, you might need to bury wire fencing out from the bottom as a dig prevention skirt. Or use paving stones as Sylvester often recommends.
OH I love the chicken tunnel.... a little bamboo... a few zip ties plastic mesh... eggcellent. And I WANT that Donkey Shed.... Awesome...

deb

Too late, they don't have a donkey shed any more, they have a French chicken house!
wink.png

As a new chicken family we are in the process of designing a coop. Weeks of going back and forth on designs with my husband, and he blurts out "what about the kids playhouse?". My children are too grown for it anymore and it's just taking up space. My question is... As a starting foundation, would this actually work for a coop for 13 chickens. We would enclose it, add a few ramps, etc... But would the chickens happily use this as their home? (sorry the picture isn't the greatest, it was taken at night )

welcome-byc.gif

They will love it. Cover the widows with 1/2" hardware cloth and put a predator proof door latch on it. A barrel bolt with a hole for a lock (I use a carabiner) will keep out any dexterous predators other than people. If you have that kind of predator, then you use a lock
big_smile.png

How big is it inside? You minimally need 2 sq ft of floor (and that is WAY minimal!) and 1' of roost per bird. If you need multiple roosts it is good to make them the same height so the birds lower on the pecking order can still sleep "high" where they feel safest.

With that many hens, you likely need 5 or 6 nests (even though at times they might all want to use the same 1 or 2). You can start with fewer and add on if necessary. If the space inside is not too big you might want to make external nest boxes and cut holes in the playhouse wall for access. A side benefit is that you can collect eggs without going in the coop. Looks like you could possibly add that to the right side and not even have to go up the stairs to collect?

When you say "enclose it" do you mean underneath or the deck are or both? Both would be great since they would have the upper part as a "sun room" and the lower part as a dry run for wet weather (if you make sure no rain can come through from the deck.

You don't really need ramps except for when the chicks are little, they can handle stairs quite well. Ask anyone who hoses chicken poop off their decks
wink.png
Looks like there is a slide there now, just lay a board with ~3/4" cleats 3" apart on top and voila, a ramp!

Hurray - after being mis-sent a Breda COCKEREL which we had to re-home, we went with another breeder inside my State this time and got our new Breda Pullet this morning! God I LUV this breed. The cockerel was a sweetie, a talker, outgoing, friendly, curious, unafraid and he has a good home with friends now. This Breda girl is just as personable! Brings us up to 4 birds and we'll wait a year or so after the AI scare is over before ordering birds over Interstate lines. So many breeders have stopped breeding for the year.

We've been working as fast as the heatwave will allow between drying coats of paint and sealer on the new coop. About 3/4 done - now if they'd just send us directions for attaching the wheels!

Back
Top Bottom