post your chicken coop pictures here!

Well, my father in law is starting my coop/run today. It's an open coop, because it's so hot here. I will have a front that can swing shut if it happens to get really cold, but 98% of the time, it will be unneeded.

My run is going to be 30x30, with the coop measuring 25x10. I can only free range when I'm home, we have way too many predators around here. I'm trying to give them as much room as I can, since they are stuck together.

I'm only attached to a couple of the chickens, so most can be replaced or eaten. :)

I have 33 chicks right now.

Here's my idea for you or anyone who wants an idea for building on a slope. My coop was built on a slant because I couldn't level the ground due to the roots of a large tree behind it. The total run area is 16x6 and the coop alone is 6x4.

It's not finished yet but just an idea if you have the same issue. I can imagine that this is a common problem, with most of the plans I see people having to level the ground.

Great addition weezy. You are right, most often we see coops on the flat, WAY easier. I think the hardest thing about the slope, especially like yours, would be predator proofing around the bottom of the door. But even that is doable with a board across the bottom for it to "seal" against. Lots of people use "deep litter" (*) so they would have such a board to keep the litter in anyway.

* Either just deep bedding or real deep litter - basically a mix of green and woody materials like a compost pile.

Working on our 3x5 coop!!

Here's my idea for you or anyone who wants an idea for building on a slope. My coop was built on a slant because I couldn't level the ground due to the roots of a large tree behind it. The total run area is 16x6 and the coop alone is 6x4.

It's not finished yet but just an idea if you have the same issue. I can imagine that this is a common problem, with most of the plans I see people having to level the ground.

probably the best first reason people started building coops on legs..... Aside from being in a damp climate.

deb

Great addition weezy. You are right, most often we see coops on the flat, WAY easier. I think the hardest thing about the slope, especially like yours, would be predator proofing around the bottom of the door. But even that is doable with a board across the bottom for it to "seal" against. Lots of people use "deep litter" (*) so they would have such a board to keep the litter in anyway.

* Either just deep bedding or real deep litter - basically a mix of green and woody materials like a compost pile. 

I used PT 2x4s for the bottom so it lays a seal plus I used paving bricks to further help keep it enclosed.

Just finished reinforcing the roof frame so last thing left is to paint to match my house.
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom