post your chicken coop pictures here!

In addition to that in cold weather the larger flat roost allows the bird to lower them selves down on the perch and cover their feet including their toes with their body and feathers to prevent frost bite especially to the tips of their toes... On a small perch the tips of the toes are wrapped under the perch and exposed, with little chance the bird can cover them up...

We put up 3 2x4's one shorter to jump up on to get to the next a bit longer and then one long one all 14 of our Australorps perch together on the top,longest 2x4.... so that makes me so happy to see that because it will help them keep nice and warm in our cold winters...
1f49e.png

I built this coop from used wood. I live in South Florida so I'm not worried about cold weather. I put hardware cloth on to protect my birds from Raccoons (not shown in this pick). My question is: My coop is 14' long by 7' wide. How many birds can I fit comfortably in here?

Last edited:

I built this coop from used wood. I live in South Florida so I'm not worried about cold weather. I put hardware cloth on to protect my birds from Raccoons (not shown in this pick). My question is: My coop is 14' long by 7' wide. How many birds can I fit comfortably in here?
You have a lovely yard! I can understand about not needing much enclosure in FL - same here in SoCal - however during our rare gully-washer storms we're building a patio over our coop to keep it cooler in the brutal sun and from the heavy El Nino rains everyone is threatening for us this winter. Glad to hear you used hardwire eventually. Poultry wire didn't keep out two stray mutts that broke into our yard and a neighbor saved our flock before the dogs could reach the flock or else I wouldn't still have chickens to be on BYC today! Raccoons are the pits also - like dogs they chase and kill chickens for the thrill rather than for food!!!
Looks like you have a Leghorn and a RIR? Both can be assertive breeds so if you add another Leg and another RIR (raised together before being introduced to your existing flock) that should give you a nice supply of eggs from these two egg-laying breeds and plenty of space to stay out of each other's hair. Give them logs, tree stumps, old chairs, a potted tree, etc, to give them places to jump onto and break up the monotony of being penned up. Our White Leg loved to perch on things around our yard - patio furniture, wheelbarrow handles, bricks, etc - she was our "perch-iest" breed.
I used a mirror for my shy Breda while she was getting acquainted with the existing flock and for a couple days she nestled next to her image if she was feeling left out by the flock - it made her transition less scary. My personal preference is to NOT introduce smaller gentler breeds to the coop (like Ameraucana, Easter Egger, Silkie, Houdan, Polish, Breda, etc because these gentler types won't stick up for themselves if bullied by the dominant dual purpose or egg production breeds (Legs, RIR, BR, NHR, Marans, Wyans, Sexlinks, etc). JMHO.

[COLOR=0000CD]You have a lovely yard!  I can understand about not needing much enclosure in FL - same here in SoCal - however during our rare gully-washer storms we're building a patio over our coop to keep it cooler in the brutal sun and from the heavy El Nino rains everyone is threatening for us this winter.  Glad to hear you used hardwire eventually.  Poultry wire didn't keep out two stray mutts that broke into our yard and a neighbor saved our flock before the dogs could reach the flock or else I wouldn't still have chickens to be on BYC today!  Raccoons are the pits also - like dogs they chase and kill chickens for the thrill rather than for food!!![/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000CD]Looks like you have a Leghorn and a RIR?  Both can be assertive breeds so if you add another Leg and another RIR (raised together before being introduced to your existing flock) that should give you a nice supply of eggs from these two egg-laying breeds and plenty of space to stay out of each other's hair.  Give them logs, tree stumps, old chairs, a potted tree, etc, to give them places to jump onto and break up the monotony of being penned up.  Our White Leg loved to perch on things around our yard - patio furniture, wheelbarrow handles, bricks, etc - she was our "perch-iest" breed. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000CD]I used a mirror for my shy Breda while she was getting acquainted with the existing flock and for a couple days she nestled next to her image if she was feeling left out by the flock - it made her transition less scary. My personal preference is to NOT introduce smaller gentler breeds to the coop (like Ameraucana, Easter Egger, Silkie, Houdan, Polish, Breda, etc because these gentler types won't stick up for themselves if bullied by the dominant dual purpose or egg production breeds (Legs, RIR, BR, NHR, Marans, Wyans, Sexlinks, etc).  JMHO.[/COLOR]

I actually have 7 birds in there. I have my roo that is the leghorn, 2 RIR'S, 2 black astrolopes, 1 easter egger and 1 aracauna. I just did my guest hatch from the incubator and now I have 12 chicks. I would like to sell them but incase I'm left with some I would throw them in there at 3-4 months but I'm not sure if I have the room if I don't build on.

I actually have 7 birds in there. I have my roo that is the leghorn, 2 RIR'S, 2 black astrolopes, 1 easter egger and 1 aracauna. I just did my guest hatch from the incubator and now I have 12 chicks. I would like to sell them but incase I'm left with some I would throw them in there at 3-4 months but I'm not sure if I have the room if I don't build on.

OMG! Chicken Math has hit you! LOL! I don't envy your dilemma of having enough room. Recommended for penned up birds should have a minimum of 5 sq ft per bird but some experienced BYC breeders will say 6 sq ft and some will say 4 sq ft. For bossier birds like Legs, RIR, BR, Marans, etc I would give 6 sq ft and for smaller or gentler breeds maybe less per bird. I introduce new juveniles to an existing flock after they've grown in size at least as big as the adult birds (about 5 or 6 months old) so they have a pecking order chance to not get throttled by the older birds. GL!

I just ordered some chicks to arrive in October, 2 BR, 2 BA, 2 BO, 2 EE, and 1 mystery free one, do you think they'll be okay raised together? I've heard conflicting things about BRs. Have also never heard the 5 and 6 sq. Ft. Thing, have always heard 4 for inside, 10 for outside (and in commercial, standard is only 2 inside 4 outside which is obviously way too little) but have heard more is better if possible so it's interesting.

Great ideas for coops here though. I have a plan but there's definitely stuff I keep overlooking. Like for example, I completely forgot about adding a door to the run xD and I haven't quite figured out where to place the windows. Interesting little things I miss. And then of course all the gorgeous decor and design and everything. Not sure I could ever do that lol

Back
Top Bottom