post your chicken coop pictures here!

This is our girls new hut! Took me all summer but I did it all myself.

Good for you!! It's adorable and looks highly functional too! Love the hardware cloth open air door. What state/country are you in? Love the kitschy friendly feel you gave it. :)

Still have to finish the roof on the run but I loved how it came out. Thanks for all the positive feedback! I built around out first one which is the small pc on the side.

I'm a victim of chicken math.

I have this chicken house. They claim it is good for 2-4 chickens and I believed. Here is a picture of my chicken house:
300x300px-LS-b6588ea2_1180766267_imagesCA931RXO.jpeg

Now I know.

It's not even big enough for one chicken, But they said it was good for 4 chickens and I believed, so I got 4 chickens. Then chicken math happened.

I started with 2 Rhode Island Red chicks. So cute! And they fit in my chicken house! So I got 2 Delaware chicks. Lots of room still!. Then I got 2 more Delaware chicks - I had to - they were the same hatch as the other two, but it was 4 weeks later and they were going to be put away. I had no choice. Seriously, what would you do?

Then I got 3 Easter Egger chicks. (You have to have blue eggs, right?)

Sadly, I lost a couple to hawks. Hazards of free ranging.

Short story, I have 7 chickens in that teensy weensy chicken house. They free range during the day, but even for sleeping, it's a problem.

What to do?

I've been scoping out the local resale hardware outlet. I have my eye on this armoire that I think will be a great start for a chicken house for 7 big girls. I plan to make a real chicken house for 7 large chickens, starting with that armoire and a lot of resale lumber and doors. Wrap the whole thing in hardware cloth and we'll see what happens. I'll let you all know how it goes. I've already ordered the hardware cloth, so we (me and 7 crowded hens) are on our way.

PS I have no idea how to operate any tools. I'll have to rent or buy everything as I go. Starting with a truck to get the armoire from the resale store to my house. Everything else will be delivered by Amazon. This should be interesting .......

I'm a victim of chicken math. I have this chicken house. They claim it is good for 2-4 chickens and I believed. Here is a picture of my chicken house:
Now I know. It's not even big enough for one chicken, But they said it was good for 4 chickens and I believed, so I got 4 chickens. Then chicken math happened. I started with 2 Rhode Island Red chicks. So cute! And they fit in my chicken house! So I got 2 Delaware chicks. Lots of room still!. Then I got 2 more Delaware chicks - I had to - they were the same hatch as the other two, but it was 4 weeks later and they were going to be put away. I had no choice. Seriously, what would you do? Then I got 3 Easter Egger chicks. (You have to have blue eggs, right?) Sadly, I lost a couple to hawks. Hazards of free ranging. Short story, I have 7 chickens in that teensy weensy chicken house. They free range during the day, but even for sleeping, it's a problem. What to do? I've been scoping out the local resale hardware outlet. I have my eye on this armoire that I think will be a great start for a chicken house for 7 big girls. I plan to make a real chicken house for 7 large chickens, starting with that armoire and a lot of resale lumber and doors. Wrap the whole thing in hardware cloth and we'll see what happens. I'll let you all know how it goes. I've already ordered the hardware cloth, so we (me and 7 crowded hens) are on our way. PS I have no idea how to operate any tools. I'll have to rent or buy everything as I go. Starting with a truck to get the armoire from the resale store to my house. Everything else will be delivered by Amazon. This should be interesting .......
wow, you've got a job cut out for you....where do you live? Sorry to hear you lost a few... Rae

I'm a victim of chicken math. I have this chicken house. They claim it is good for 2-4 chickens and I believed. Here is a picture of my chicken house:
What to do? I've been scoping out the local resale hardware outlet. I have my eye on this armoire that I think will be a great start for a chicken house for 7 big girls. PS I have no idea how to operate any tools. I'll have to rent or buy everything as I go. Starting with a truck to get the armoire from the resale store to my house. Everything else will be delivered by Amazon. This should be interesting .......
Post a picture of the armoire, please. (My first coop/run was built around an armoire) Then may I suggest a couple things that might be useful...... You tube how to videos....(for using the tools,etc.) Cardboard box mock-ups to trial different ideas.... Keep a journal/notebook handy for all your notes, dimensions of lumber, hardware needed, ideas.....take it shopping so you know for sure what size of whatsyamaycallit you were after..... @Patandchickens ventilation page...... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop AND.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/winter-coop-temperatures LOTS of safety gear, goggles, masks, gloves. Let your inexperience keep you cautious, power tools can cut flesh as easily as wood. ( this is a trick I learned.......Best trick for cutting hardware cloth I've found is the $10 cut-off (power tool) wheel from Harbor Freight. Lay the HC on soft ground, like a lawn, so it doesn't kick rocks up into your face, wear goggles and gloves,.....mark where to cut with a sharpie, weight the HC down both sides of the cut mark,[ the smaller piece you're cutting off, and the rest of the roll] hold grinder/cut off wheel firmly and follow the line. Watch which direction you had the roll laying so it doesn't spring up at you). I use scrap plywood to weight it down, kneel on it, and line up the plywood edge with my cut mark so I'm just guideing the edge of the cutoff wheel across the HC. This is soooo much better than tin snips, once you try it you will see. ;) Start a coop build thread or keep adding to this one for more input.... Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom