post your chicken coop pictures here!

Due to high heat in NW Florida, installed a tarp over run to give girls more shade. Plan on installing a metal roof next week.
Nice coop. I have horrible eyesight - is the underside of the coop enclosed with wire? I enlarged the photo and can't even see the wire on the pen either. We've used tarps and popup canopies for shade for the last 3 years. Just need to replace the tarp once a year. Burlap or canvas cloths work for shade too.

We're getting 6. An Australorp, golden laced Wyandotte, silver laced Polish, Easter Egger, buff Orpington and a Wellsummer.

Can't wait!

Poor Polish and EE being put among a group of aggressive-type breeds. Crested/bearded types are gentler breeds and Wyandottes have a reputation for dominating and Orps are pushy as chicks to adults. As pullets they will all seem to get along but at about 18 mos to 2 years the bigger mature hens will bully the smaller and/or gentler breeds. Our Ameraucana ran from our Buff Leghorn (they were the same age) - the Buff went on a rampage to assert herself by pulling out the crests and beards of the other gentler breeds so we had to re-home her. EEs and Ameraucanas are kooky spooky jittery klutzy girls but the sweetest gentlest souls. They are usually non-combative and will flee rather than fight. If they weren't so noisy for the neighbors and very talkative I'd have a flock of just EEs or APA Ameraucanas because they lay colorful XL eggs and generally non-combative adults. They are also considered non-broody types so egg production is high and sometimes right through winter.

Thank you. Yes hardware buried to 12 inches. Glad I installed tarp, 100 deg F heat index today. Planning on installing metal roof next week.

Poor Polish and EE being put among a group of aggressive-type breeds.  Crested/bearded types are gentler breeds and Wyandottes have a reputation for dominating and Orps are pushy as chicks to adults.  As pullets they will all seem to get along but at about 18 mos to 2 years the bigger mature hens will bully the smaller and/or gentler breeds.  Our Ameraucana ran from our Buff Leghorn (they were the same age) - the Buff went on a rampage to assert herself by pulling out the crests and beards of the other gentler breeds so we had to re-home her.  EEs and Ameraucanas are kooky spooky jittery klutzy girls but the sweetest gentlest souls.  They are usually non-combative and will flee rather than fight.  If they weren't so noisy for the neighbors and very talkative I'd have a flock of just EEs or APA Ameraucanas because they lay colorful XL eggs and generally non-combative adults.  They are also considered non-broody types so egg production is high and sometimes right through winter.

I've heard from several people relating to dispositions of the birds that I picked. Hopefully, mine will be an exception! Lol! I definitely didn't want RIR's. Almost everyone says they are aggressive. It will be interesting.

my rir's are ok its the black sex-links that are mean, i was told they are a good pet but they do not let me near them one of them riped my arm yesterday, i have an rir that lets me pet her

I built a small chicken coop for my 2 chickens. As we live in an urban area, no need to close off the run. Blue and white matches the colour of the windows of our house!

My black sex links are my favorites. They follow me around and call for me to come out and sit with them. My RIR was by far my sweetest. She would come an sit with me, and when she was foraging, if I would sit on the grass she would run across the yard to snack near me. My wyandottes are a completely different story. They are very much hands off, they won't eat from my hands at all, they don't like being picked up, ignore me, even when I have treats

Hi - beautiful build and sections! I'm assuming you'll collect eggs from inside? Egg boxes look too high if it were me trying to get eggs from outside the box but then you're probably in snow country and will go inside the coop most of the time. We have so little yard space your two coops wouldn't leave us any room for foraging grass in our small space. Lucky you to have all that room!!

Thanks. The steps you see are the standard ~9" rise The base of the wall is ~ 18" off the ground. The base of the nest boxes is right about 4 feet, or about the middle of my chest. The roof is fixed and the front wall drops outward. Once they start laying (which is like somewhere in the distant future from my present perspective
hmm.png
) I anticipate collecting from outside. That won't be the case in inclement weather... in which case I will go inside to collect

I should hope so - the cost for materials would run in the "Let's take out a fourth mortgage on the house" range.

*Edit* Although, us chicken people aren't always what one might call sane ;)

:yuckyuck
It all depends on your definition of sane!! I think its perfectly sane to pay$500 for an egg, don't you???? (And that was with some free chicks and a lot of repurposed materials.) When I finally get that egg I hope its gold!!:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom