post your chicken coop pictures here!

I get darn near 100% containment with my DIY feeder I really can't say enough about how well it works... My guineas and a few chickens were horrible at tossing food everywhere with every other feeder type, built this and overnight no more food on the floor... The only drawback is my peafowl won't use it, or at least I have never seen them attempt to use it, they get a different feeder design but that isn't a problem with them as they actually have manners when they eat...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...te-5-gallon-25-feed-bucket-feeder-for-about-3

I love this idea
1f60d.png

:lau my rooster is so dumb!!!!! It got below freezing last night here in lower AL so my husband decided to add a heat lamp to the coop.... Within moments my roo had put his butt (litteraly) on the lamp... Results..... A burnt tail!!! My husband has decided to forgo hunting this weekend just so he can get the bigger coop built and he is adding a new feature.... A cage to house the lamp and keep feather brains from it... Wish me luck..l been trying to build this new coop for ages... The smaller one will be pulled down from the stand, put on cinder blocks and converted into the dog house...

ep.gif
Its a wonder the whole place did not go up in flames. Be careful outhere. The chicken dust can ignite very quickly to cause a fire. Keep your lights and stuff clean near the lights.

Yeah... I've been researching heating options in my coop but from what I've read I think I'll just let them self regulate unless I see frostbite signs...

I'm far north of you, and get temps into the single digits in the winter. And that's not including any windchill. I have a open-air type coop, meaning the whole front wall is nothing but hardware cloth. Never had any kind of added heat. None of my birds have ever suffered from frostbite. Make sure you have plenty of fresh air/ventilation, and you'll have no problems either. Don't fall into the trap of sealing your coop up, to "KeepThemWarm".

I'm far north of you, and get temps into the single digits in the winter. And that's not including any windchill. I have a open-air type coop, meaning the whole front wall is nothing but hardware cloth. Never had any kind of added heat. None of my birds have ever suffered from frostbite. Make sure you have plenty of fresh air/ventilation, and you'll have no problems either. Don't fall into the trap of sealing your coop up, to "KeepThemWarm".

Yeah... I've been researching heating options in my coop but from what I've read I think I'll just let them self regulate unless I see frostbite signs...

I'm far north of you, and get temps into the single digits in the winter.  And that's not including any windchill.   I have a open-air type coop, meaning the whole front wall is nothing but hardware cloth.  Never had any kind of added heat.  None of my birds have ever suffered from frostbite.  Make sure you have plenty of fresh air/ventilation, and you'll have no problems either.  Don't fall into the trap of sealing your coop up, to "KeepThemWarm".  

We just need to keep re running your posts over and over and over again. Chickens have between 8 and 10 thousand feathers.

Growing up we had many "feral" barnyard banties. They roosted in the trees in god awful weather, below zero, howling winds, snow, sleet, freezing rain, a foot or more of snow on the ground, you name it. Guess what they survived. If they died it was due to predation.

I see no reason to add any heat source to a coop.

I leave a south facing window open all winter.

lau.gif
my rooster is so dumb!!!!! It got below freezing last night here in lower AL so my husband decided to add a heat lamp to the coop.... Within moments my roo had put his butt (litteraly) on the lamp... Results..... A burnt tail!!! My husband has decided to forgo hunting this weekend just so he can get the bigger coop built and he is adding a new feature.... A cage to house the lamp and keep feather brains from it... Wish me luck..l been trying to build this new coop for ages... The smaller one will be pulled down from the stand, put on cinder blocks and converted into the dog house...
If you live in Alabama, and while there is an occasional 'cold snap' during the winter, your chickens don't need heat!!! Case in point:

Twelve chicks and 8 hens were lost in this fire...don't become a statistic with your own...JMHO...

Back
Top Bottom