post your chicken coop pictures here!

My coop from pallets. Took all summer but it was fun and chickens are happy.

Amen to that one, sister!! I had my brooder bin in my living room, too. Trouble is....I LIVE IN AN RV!!! A big RV, but still an RV. Oh, it was fine at first with the Rubbermaid tub thing, but soon they had graduated to a big box. Had to put it on the floor in front of the TV credenza and 'walk around' it constantly to get from here to there if you get my drift!
gig.gif
and then moving to the watermelon box what a trip!

I almost lost my chickens to stray dogs that broke into our yard and mangled our flimsy poultry wire trying to kill our chickens. You might want to consider attaching 1/2 inch hardwire right over your poultry wire. Poultry wire is very flimsy and easily torn apart by dogs, raccoons, etc etc. The 1/2 inch mesh is much sturdier and a paver stone walkway against the outside of the coop pen base will keep out digging critters also.

I love your beautiful build and the lovely personal touch!

Amen to that one, sister!! I had my brooder bin in my living room, too. Trouble is....I LIVE IN AN RV!!! A big RV, but still an RV. Oh, it was fine at first with the Rubbermaid tub thing, but soon they had graduated to a big box. Had to put it on the floor in front of the TV credenza and 'walk around' it constantly to get from here to there if you get my drift!
gig.gif

Haha! I can identify with keeping "chicks" in the house. We temporarily set up two 11-12 week old ("chicks" as the breeder called them) Leghorns in the bathtub not realizing how large 11-12 week olds really are until they arrived by USPS - they are nearly full grown at that age. We kept the plastic shower curtain closed and that kept them overnight and thankfully our dog kennel arrived the next day to set them up in a bigger 4x4 pen. I don't think breeders should call anything over 4 weeks old "chicks" but more correctly "juveniles" when they sell them to customers! When I was told I was getting 2 "chicks" I wasn't expecting nearly full grown birds - you live and learn and laugh later!

I still have birds in the house, a handful of 'teen aged' chickens that are going out to the coop any day now just waiting for a little warm up so they don't get a rude awakening when they are moved in the middle of the night (this weekend looks promising), 5 Halloween born chicks that will probably spend most of the winter in the house, and 9 late season peafowls that will almost certainly spend the the better part of winter (if not he entire winter) in the house...

Between the two more aggressive roos (that are destined to be re-homed) in the coop and the knuckle headed bully Guinea fowls, any new birds introduced to my coop need to be of sufficient size or else they will be tormented and harassed to no end... Once they are of sufficient size I have never had issues introducing any birds... For example I just introduced 8 nearly adult Black Sumatra's a few weeks ago, and they integrated right away, maybe a day or two of mild harassment from the Guineas but after that they fell right in place...

I still have birds in the house, a handful of 'teen aged' chickens that are going out to the coop any day now just waiting for a little warm up so they don't get a rude awakening when they are moved in the middle of the night (this weekend looks promising), 5 Halloween born chicks that will probably spend most of the winter in the house, and 9 late season peafowls that will almost certainly spend the the better part of winter (if not he entire winter) in the house...

Between the two more aggressive roos (that are destined to be re-homed) in the coop and the knuckle headed bully Guinea fowls, any new birds introduced to my coop need to be of sufficient size or else they will be tormented and harassed to no end... Once they are of sufficient size I have never had issues introducing any birds... For example I just introduced 8 nearly adult Black Sumatra's a few weeks ago, and they integrated right away, maybe a day or two of mild harassment from the Guineas but after that they fell right in place...

From all the juveniles we have ordered and quarantined before introducing to the main flock I have found that somewhere between 4 to 5 months old pullets integrate best with adult hens because size-wise they match the adult hens so don't get picked on because of smallness. They see each other through a divided rabbit fence during the day and at night we put the new birds in a screened nestbox so in the mornings the adult birds get used to waking with new birds in the coop. During the day everyone is foraging with a rabbit fence barrier between juveniles and adults and then at night we repeat putting the new birds in a screened nestbox. We do this for about a week and then remove the screen to watch how the birds integrate. There are a few pecks as the new birds learn the pecking order and then usually goes smooth after that.

Back
Top Bottom