post your chicken coop pictures here!

We have never had a stray get in the yard. We will put better wire, we needed to get them out there and didnt have the money for better wire. Havemt seen a racoon in my neighborhood but possums yes. Do you suggest an actual door we can shut on the coop?

We never knew we had city Raccoons or city Possums til we got chickens.

Yes, an actual locking door is recommended on the coop AND the run because chickens will sleep/roost right through a predator attack and stray or feral cats will enter your coop at night to get at the chickens if you have an open door. A sturdy top on the run is recommended against aerial predators. We never knew we had city Chicken Hawks or Red-tailed hawks til we got chickens!

Crows are in our area but they don't bother adult chickens. In fact, crows seems to keep other aerial predators away when the crows flock in around the neighborhood. But crows WILL go after ducklings or chicks so don't recommend keeping babies out.

35 gallons is a LOT of water. How many chickens do you have? My 10 don't go through a gallon a week. I'm using a 5 gallon double wall drink cooler and I don't think I added more than about 5 gallons over time all winter long.
You're right about water. We have two 2-gallon Rubbermaid Brite Tap nipple waterers around the yard for 4 hens and we don't even fill them 1/4 full and the water stays cool and fresh in the insulated coolers and a good washout once or twice a month is enough.

Just finished the second of three of these small coops. They are fast to build and I needed to move out some chickens, and bought some new chickens, so had to have them fast! Any thoughts about adding nestboxes to an A-frame design?

Added the young Easter Eggers to thier new digs right after I finished.
Coop is 5' at the base, with 4' sides and 12' long.
Any ideas on those nestbox designs appreciated!
-Allie
A platform about 6 or 8 inches above the ground attached to the enclosed A-Frame shelter should do fine. Or a slide out shelf for easy clean. A small lip on the shelf to keep straw/shavings from getting kicked out and to keep an egg from rolling out. Doesn't have to be fancy yet functional for both you and the hens.

Just finished the second of three of these small coops. They are fast to build and I needed to move out some chickens, and bought some new chickens, so had to have them fast! Any thoughts about adding nestboxes to an A-frame design? Added the young Easter Eggers to thier new digs right after I finished. Coop is 5' at the base, with 4' sides and 12' long. Any ideas on those nestbox designs appreciated! -Allie
You could always follow the a frame design and build the boxes up and out a foot and a slanted top to the boxes so the rain and what not will just run off and that way you can also open the top to get your eggs.

Last edited:

This is the coop that I built for my 8 hens. It is my first time building one and I did it by looking at A LOT of pictures of other coops! I live in new england and wanted something to keep them out of the elements during our winters!
It is 6ft× 16ft.

You could always follow the a frame design and build the boxes up and out a foot and a slanted top to the boxes so the rain and what not will just run off and that way you can also open the top to get your eggs.

I have a coop similar to yours. Here is a picture of how the nest boxes are right now.
They aren't attached so I can move them around inside the coop. We may figure out a way to clamp them down for stability at some point.

Egg doors on each side, but can reach them from the pop doors too.

People have already told me the hens may not lay with the boxes where they are.
I can move them further back and in where it is darker if need be.

Lisa
Grapeland, TX

I have a coop similar to yours. Here is a picture of how the nest boxes are right now.
They aren't attached so I can move them around inside the coop. We may figure out a way to clamp them down for stability at some point.

Egg doors on each side, but can reach them from the pop doors too.

People have already told me the hens may not lay with the boxes where they are.
I can move them further back and in where it is darker if need be.

Lisa
Grapeland, TX

Another problem I see is chickens like to roost up as high as they can get. If you have your nesting boxes as high or higher than the roost, they will tend to want to roost in them. The first and second coops I built for me own, I made the mistake of putting the nesting boxes at the same height, and now I have 1 hen that will not quit roosting in them. It really doesn't hurt anything,except that I have to clean the box she roosts (poops) in every day. I hope this helps and great job on the coop.

HELP ME!!! :eek:

2 baby ducklings of unknown origin were rescued from the side of a busy road by a couple of well meaning children today. The teachers put them in a box with towels to keep them warm and called me!!!! What do I know of ducklings?! I'm a chicken momma. Will a broody hen that just hatched chicks adopt them?

They can't be more then a day... 2 at most old. Still wobbly on legs. I know the chick starter feed I have will be ok for the ducks but that's it... Should I keep them same temp in brooder? Can I leave an open bowl of water or a chick waterer? HELP... NEED ANSWERS FAST.

Back
Top Bottom