post your chicken coop pictures here!

Yes. Rockys are from Petaluma.

http://www.petalumapoultry.com/our-brands/rocky-free-range-chicken/

Pretty much everything here (from my buritto joint to the whole rotisserie birds at my grocery) is a Mary or Rocky.

This is good info to know - Rockys is pasture raised but I still stay away from Cornish X - they grow too freakishly fast and monstrous and it has to be inhumanely taxing/painful on their bodies. I think Whole Foods in our area carries the Mary's chickens but the market is too distant from us. We frequent Trader Joe's for our organic humane meats. Thx for the info!

After 2 days of thinking this is the design I've come up with. (Please ignore the wife's reminder. Only paper I could find to write on.)

First time having chickens and first time posting.
Looks somewhat similar to what is called the Wichita coop but I like your roof better. Very good design - especially if you have roof coverage over your egg collection box. You'll be happy you did for the days it rains and to deter leaks into the nestbox.
welcome-byc.gif

Mary's are probably French Bresse... they are not like Cornish they develope in the same manner as any other dual purpose breed.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/866299/french-standards-for-raising-bresse-meat-chickens

Hi perchie, I think I saw Mary's video and on their website they had brown chickens that looked like Sexlink, or Comets, or something similar - Mary's calls them California Bronze (I've never seen brown Bresse though).

The cornish I am talking about are raised on Fermented feed and not allowed to gain weight too quickly. Meaning they are given a ration morning and afternoon but they have to forage for bugs during the day... Moving about and huntin down what they could catch.

There are better ways to feed the Cornish X in rations and to give free range but that unfortunately doesn't stop their freakishly fast Frankenstein growth which they've been engineered for. But to each his own on this sensitive issue. There are so many choices to make and consider about meat chickens. It's nice to have choices.
smile.png

This is my coop. It isn't quite finished yet. It not as glamorous as some coops on here. But I built it with some help from my dad and fiance. I also repurposed all the wood from my horse barn. I hope my girls will like it.
smile.png

They will LOVE it! Chickens don't read "Coop Beautiful" and they don't know that some chickens live in the Taj. If it has what they need, they will be happy.

3 suggestions:
1) Don't leave the chair in there for the chickens, it will be covered in poop.
2) Have a plan to enhance those nest dividers if like my girls, yours decide they need to mess with the girl next door. The outside ones can stay as it but the ones with a nest to the side might need to be taller vertically. I ended up making a piece that converted the 45 angle piece to a rectangular one.
3) They might like an access perch running along the front several inches out from the boxes. You do have the "walkway but it might be a bit narrow to land on. Mine like to check out the options (not like they ever change). Maybe they are looking for a nest with other eggs or something.

I plan on some Cornish or Cornish Cross in my future... I have seen video of them running about and being chickens because they were raised slower... Not the bald or nearly bald panting and prostrate videos out there.

I think we are getting off topic here. so I need to drop this

nite
This is one of the best threads around. And I don't even have CX's. Jessica does a lot of videos of her pasture raised babies.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/896158/first-run-of-cornish-cross-meat-birds-and-super-excited

My new little coop. Some of the coops in this thread are amazing!

Yep, there sure are some amazing coops on this thread; put mine to shame!

I love the little chickie-face in your coop “Hey, check out my new digs!” … so cute!

I couldn’t see a ramp from the run to the coop; guessing you are installing that when they get a bit bigger?

Yep, there sure are some amazing coops on this thread; put mine to shame!

I love the little chickie-face in your coop “Hey, check out my new digs!” … so cute!

I couldn’t see a ramp from the run to the coop; guessing you are installing that when they get a bit bigger?

I love looking at other people's craftsmanship and creativity on display in some of the coops. I like the budget it took to build mine though. Wasn't free, but cheepest materials I could get. Totally necessary at this point in my life. I think I'll do something creative with my coop someday :)

My new little coop. Some of the coops in this thread are amazing!
this is a fantastic set up for a small backyard flock. Is this a kit? Plans? Or did you come up with this on your own? It looks very well done in the pictures.

Last edited:
There is a ramp but I had it folded up :) . Yes I love the little chicken faces that pop up when I come out the back door! If I have the ramp down (it is down almost all the time now) I can peek around the corner and they come flying out when they see me lol.

The coop was made by a guy who lives here in wa. He has some beautiful designs. I am not handy, but I didn't like a lot of the pre made stuff I was finding online until I came across this guy on CL. It's great! I will take more pics of my little flock tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom