post your chicken coop pictures here!

Just finished with the girls new coop. Its an 8' x 12' converted shed.
I am so in love with what you have done here! We're trying to decide what kind of nesting boxes to do in our new coop, and I think we're going to copy what you have done! I ask blown away by your paper under the roost, we use plywood, but the paper is so much easier and it could all go in the compost instead of scraping poo off the board! Where do you find paper like that?

This is last year's project, when these four boys were just peanuts!

We purchased the Summerhawk Ranch Victorian Teak XL model. I wasn't fond of the plain wood color so I painted it before assembly. I used Valspar Fresh Mist and Coral Reef for the paint colors.

This model is said to hold 6-9 chickens given that they free range during the day. Since we won't be able to free range daily without supervision (hawks) we decided to make an additional run.

My husband spent his entire week's vacation making the run for me and I'm so pleased with his results. This was his first ever build and it was winged.

I made a PVC feeder and waterer with cups and painted them lavender. My hubs was also lucky enough to score some premium metal roofing from my FIL's roof remodel.

This is a chick brooder I made from a truck bed liner and some 2x4's. I had 25 chicks divided in 2 different plastic storage bins but they quickly out grew that. So I built this and I can can keep all me chicks together with room to spare, atleast until they go into the bigger coop.

Last edited:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1090742/beginning-coop-construction/30#post_16790509

^A link to our in progress coop pics if anyone is interested. Hoping to get it finished up next week.

Anyone have pics of soffit ventilation with hardware cloth in their coop? Contemplating adding it to our design...

The easiest way would be the same way you are doing the HC on the windows. Attach it to the underside of the rafters and put 2 strips of the siding to form the slot. Or, since you are the daughter of a carpenter and doing everything nicely, I suppose you really should cut a solid piece of siding that perfectly covers the underside of the rafters, then cut a slot in it. That way it won't look messy at the gable ends
wink.png

BUT soffit vents don't do anything without a ridge vent. Typically the pair are used to keep house attics from overheating and from retaining humidity. I'm not quite sure how much, if any, of the air in the coop below the soffits will clear out unless there are vents lower down. You might be better off with a ridge vent (OR gable vents) paired with low vents positioned such that the airflow won't be right through the birds on the roost at night.

I checked out your coop page, nice work. I see you already have a chick in there!
wink.png
I think it is a mutt because I don't recognize that coloring or body type as an APA breed but she sure is cute.

We purchased the Summerhawk Ranch Victorian Teak XL model. I wasn't fond of the plain wood color so I painted it before assembly. I used Valspar Fresh Mist and Coral Reef for the paint colors.

This model is said to hold 6-9 chickens given that they free range during the day. Since we won't be able to free range daily without supervision (hawks) we decided to make an additional run.

My husband spent his entire week's vacation making the run for me and I'm so pleased with his results. This was his first ever build and it was winged.

I made a PVC feeder and waterer with cups and painted them lavender. My hubs was also lucky enough to score some premium metal roofing from my FIL's roof remodel.

Nice paint job
smile.png

I'm guessing by the external nest box (which I ASSUME is 1' deep) that the actual coop (nest boxes excluded) is 2' x 3'??
NO WAY that is big enough for 6-9 large fowl. It is barely big enough for 3 and that is with your plan that they will have access to the run or free range all day every day AND assuming no space it taken up with feed and water. If there is no provision, you might want to cover part of the run, at least the part that came with the coop so when it rains they don't have to confine themselves to the coop and the space underneath.

Sadly people who sell coops VERY frequently substantially overstate how many chickens they will hold. They don't even say "x bantams or y large fowl". For large fowl a roost should be 1' from a parallel wall and parallel roosts should be 18" apart. There is no way you are going to get more than 3' of roost in there either. AND you need a MINIMUM of 1' of roost per bird so again, absolute max in that coop is 3.

Back
Top Bottom