post your chicken coop pictures here!

It will have a 5"seamless gutter on it for sure. Thanks for the input. I will trim out the fascia like the rest of the coop. I will be running an electrical subpanel to the coop once I get the run functional too. I have to have electricity for lights and a attic/gable high CFM fan at the least.
Any clue which brand/type of fan you will be installing?

It will have a 5"seamless gutter on it for sure. Thanks for the input. I will trim out the fascia like the rest of the coop. I will be running an electrical subpanel to the coop once I get the run functional too. I have to have electricity for lights and a attic/gable high CFM fan at the least.
I'm not sure living in Texas why you would need lights. Maybe the fan to keep things cool during the summer months. I live in the rocky mountains of Colorado, seen it get down to -35*F. I have never used a light or heat lamp. I will admit this is the first time having my own small flock, however I did work on a farm/ranch that had over 250 birds and we never used lights or heat lamps. I've found that having the proper amount of space per bird and having adequate ventilation works best for me.

I'm not sure living in Texas why you would need lights.

I suspect it still gets dark in Texas ;) and thus having lights makes it much easier to see inside when it's dark or gloomy outside...

Plus if you want or choose to maintain full optimal egg production all winter you need that 16ish hours of light stimulation as that is a biological trigger to lay, and thus requires artificial lighting as the days are only 9 or 10 hours long in lower 48 during winter...

Last edited:
I'm not sure living in Texas why you would need lights. Maybe the fan to keep things cool during the summer months. I live in the rocky mountains of Colorado, seen it get down to -35*F. I have never used a light or heat lamp. I will admit this is the first time having my own small flock, however I did work on a farm/ranch that had over 250 birds and we never used lights or heat lamps. I've found that having the proper amount of space per bird and having adequate ventilation works best for me.
No heat lamps or heat will be used. Fans definitely in our summer heat. I don't want extension cords running across the yard.

My chickens refuse to go into their coop without a light on...kid you not.

I suspect it still gets dark in Texas
wink.png
and thus having lights makes it much easier to see inside when it's dark outside...

Plus if you want or choose to maintain full optimal egg production all winter you need that 16ish hours of light stimulation as that is a biological trigger to lay, and that requires artificial lighting as the days are only 9 or 10 hours long lower 48 during winter...
Yeah I suppose if you want to "maintain" optimal egg production adding artificial light and heat is necessary. Personally I prefer to let nature take it's course. They lay when it's time, no need to fake them into it. They all need a rest period, as nature intended.

Back
Top Bottom