post your chicken coop pictures here!

Wow, what a great backyard! love the river front access! Do you fish in it?
Thank you! It's kinda my side yard. You see it as you walk up to my front door. Yes, I grew up here and use to fish. Not so much anymore but others do. I let a man fish on our bank last week and he brought us up three trout.

I have been lurking and we have been hard at work.

It is still not finished and I wonder if it ever will be as there will always be something that they or we need
wink.png

We are sub tropical with high temps, high humidity and torrential rain and tropical storms but low predator risk and we wanted something tropical to blend nicely into the garden.

[No pics of the inside as yet because that is one of the bits we have not completely finished. With no-one laying at the moment due to the season and moulting, the nest boxes are a bit haphazard
wink.png
]

Looks really nice. In your climate the most important thing is ventilation, ventilation, ventilation (and staying away from the funnel spiders).

My DIY "chicken garden" and coop.

Nice setup. I don't think I've seen a "side door" hoop run before but it looks like you managed to get the shade cloth on it well.

I got vertical nipples for $4/pair and a bucket for less than $5 at family farm. My problem was that i couldnt get the bucket high enough for the chickens to drink comfortably under the nest boxes where i wanted it so im working on the PVC idea. Going to use the heater posted for bird baths and my $4 nipples :) im all about clean and easy (never mind the design and installation (i also have an1/8 inch pipe tap and 1/4-28 tap (cant remember what it was now))

Bruceha2000 is right about the freezing and algae, the simpler you make it the better. Any projection from the main tank will not benefit from the heater and any non-moving water exposed to the sun will grow algae. PVC is opaque so not an issue. The heater needs to be relatively close to the nipples to do any good. The further away from the heater in uninsulated container, the colder the water will be. I also notice that my water containers get slimy inside which cant be good so i rinse them out every time i refill. I assume it is from contamination from drinking and other dibris. A closed system with nipples should completely eliminate that problem (i hope)

Last edited:
just go to Amazon.com and search for "poultry water nipples"
Hers the link to the ones I'm getting ready to order:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=poultry+water+nipples
From looking at the link you shared those are vertical nipples. The one I shared is for horizontal nipples. Perhaps that's the reason for the price difference. I went with the horizontal ones because from what I've read they have less tendency to freeze up.

Last edited:
Thanks very much.
It was a fun challenge. I ended up using screen mesh, the same type that goes on pool enclosures. We used zip ties on the PVC pipe framing and staples on the wood framing to install the screen nice a secure and tight.
Living in Florida there are lots of predators around which would love to snack on my chickens so this enclosure really puts my mind at ease.
I don't like closing the chickens in the coop. Now I leave the coop door open at all times.

The whole area is about 200 sqft. And used to be a garden before we decided to have backyard chickens.

Last edited:
Thanks very much.
It was a fun challenge. I ended up using screen mesh, the same type that goes on pool enclosures.
Living in Florida there are lots of predators around which would love to snack on my chickens so this enclosure really puts my mind at ease.
I don't like closing the chickens in the coop. Now I leave the coop door open at all times.

The whole area is about 200 sqft. And used to be a garden before we decided to have backyard chickens.
Screen mesh? I use to live in Florida, I took my dog when I went to visit a friend and put her in his screened in porch while we left for the day. When we returned we found her in his swimming pool. Screen mesh will not keep predators out!

Thank you bruceha2000 yep, it is well ventilated. The floor is slatted timber, the decorative large door you can see in the first image is slatted also but able to be closed up if windy, ventilation at the top and the chicken door is always open with the small door opposite being wire and lined up so a breeze can blow through but not on them.

Overheating is definitely the biggest concern here and no chance of frost bite
wink.png

There are different types of screen mesh. This stuff was pretty durable.
Besides the screen mesh is the cover only, the bottom 5 feet is a metal fencing and chicken wire, doubled up.
Predators will not be able to rip into this mesh from on top. I am positive of it.

I also have little dogs as well which are always outside in my pool area and I have never had any type of rip in my enclosure for many years.

There are different types of screen mesh. This stuff was pretty durable.
Besides the screen mesh is the cover only, the bottom 5 feet is a metal fencing and chicken wire, doubled up.
Predators will not be able to rip into this mesh from on top. I am positive of it.

I'll wish you the best of luck, but I fully believe many people underestimate the abilities of a hungry predator when a chicken buffet sits inches away, especially the likes of raccoons, or even the common K-9...

Back
Top Bottom