post your chicken coop pictures here!

You don't know what a draft is, in a coop.
my definition of a draft in house, barn etc is the ability to feel cold air on my skin in an otherwise comfortable building (comfortable being over 50) I live in an 1820 farmhouse with no insulation in 90% of the walls I know what a draft is and it does not ruffle my hair.

Whatever..

You don't know what a draft is, in a coop.  A draft is a cross breeze, that will ruffle the bird's feathers.  This coop is built tight.  No cracks in the corners, no gaps up by the roof.  When the coop is in winter mode, with all the windows, and the entry door shut, there is no pathway in the coop for the wind to blow through.   Even with the wide open front wall.  I've had 35mph+ winter winds blow directly at the open front.  You go inside the coop, and shut the door, it's as calm as it is in your living room watching TV.   In the book, that is described as the air cushion effect.  I get snow down here too, and no matter what it does, it never amounts to anything in the coop.  Nothing ever worth worrying about.

If you were to have say, the eaves open, all the way around the coop, plus a ridge vent, I would bet that you would have more felt air movement in that coop, then mine.  I'd bet $$$ on it.  You would be providing that pathway through  the coop.  Could get drafty.  

You keep chickens in a poorly ventilated box, with the misguided idea that by trapping "BodyHeat" you are doing them a favor.   You are setting up a high humidity environment,  combined with the cold, you will have frostbite, and probably respiratory issues.  I've had winter temps to just below zero, not including any windchill, and I've ( Really, my chickens) NEVER had any problems what so ever, NONE.  
Again, read the book

This is correct. In order for wind to move through, it must be replaced by more air. If there is no opening at the back of the coop, there is no way that air can move to the back of the coop where the roosts are because their is already a cushion, or pocket of air, there. The way a Woods coop is designed is to allow air movement through the front of the coop, therefore effectively displacing humidity, which is the bigger culprit for frostbite. Ask anyone who is a survivalist. Cold and wet equals disaster. There was a man on the news a couple years ago who was found wandering in freezing temps in the nude. He had gotten soaked and discarded his wet clothes in order to survive.

Air will flow in the path of least resistance. A woods coop and many other largely ventilated coops are well designed so that the uptake in wind never hit the roosting birds. Similarly in old houses, attic ventilation helps aid in removal of humidity without disturbing the air which resides in your living space. But if you've got a bad door fitting on one side of your house and a bad window jamb on the other, the air pulls through, creating an undesired draft. Completely different from the intended and well thought out ventilation system.

No offense a chuckle.... a day keeps the sadness away
lau.gif

my definition of a draft in house, barn etc is the ability to feel cold air on my skin in an otherwise comfortable building (comfortable being over 50) I live in an 1820 farmhouse with no insulation in 90% of the walls I know what a draft is and it does not ruffle my hair.

Whatever..

To feel cold air on your skin. How in the world, do you transfer that, to a chicken? A chicken has an avg. body temp of 105F, give or take a degree or two. That, combined with one of nature's best insulating material, their feathers, it's practically light yrs from how cold effects them, compared to you. If they felt cold the same way we do, they would do nothing but stay in a group huddle, for the entire winter. From what I've seen, they struggle a whole lot more, from summer heat, than winter cold. I could be out there freezing my butt off, and they will be out picking around in the yard, like it's nothing. That's one of the worst things you can do, put your feelings, limitations, on a bird, that is built to handle cold. That has probably harmed and killed more backyard chickens than all the predator attacks combined.

awesome! Does this book give good ideas for high 100 plus degree temps too? Grins

The link below, is an on-line copy of the book.  And, it does show, and talk about a hot weather version of the Woods.  Basically, the front section is screen, and the lower half of the back section is screened. (Hardware cloth)   IMO, perfect coop, good for ANY breed.  

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924003138272;view=1up;seq=47

It's also available on Google Play for free...

https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=o08PAAAAYAAJ&rdid=book-o08PAAAAYAAJ&rdot=1

Well here is my first shot at a coop for our 8 birds. There have been a few improvements since I took the pictures which are mainly addition of an ADOR1 automatic door. Also on the outside on the entire run is 6" of mesh on the ground with crushed stone over it to prevent digging. Let me know what you think!

Whatever..
  • draft noun (COLD AIR)
[C] a current of cold air inside a room: She felt a cold draft every time the door was opened. from: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/draft

Your definition of a draft does not conform to the true definition. The ability to "feel cold air on your skin" would mean holding your hand near a tray of ice cubes would constitute a draft... I'm sorry, but you are a bit confused as to the meaning and actuality of the term "draft". Obviously, if you walk from a heated environment into a cold environment you will feel the temperature difference, but that does not indicate the presence of a "draft". Walk into a walk in freezer and close the door... no drafts but quite cold and you'll obviously feel the temperature change.

By definition, a draft requires the movement of air, NOT a change in temperature. In order for movement of air to occur, there must be an entrance and exit for the air to move from and to. Where the open front coop only has ONE opening where the air must enter and also exit, it defeats the ability of a draft to occur. Now, having said that, it the upper windows are opened, then cooler air can flow in through the open front and heated moist air can flow out through the upper windows, but since that air will NOT be moving against the back wall, there would be no draft/breeze/wind affecting the birds roosting at the back. And since those windows are generally closed during cold weather, there is no chance of any drafts at all.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom