post your chicken coop pictures here!

The open air poultry house for all climates... does that really mean 'all climates'? I do see that they are suitable for some places that have snowy winters but here sometimes its -40 or colder (not counting wind chill) for days during our colder winter months.

Humidity contributes greatly to frostbite at moderate freezing temps, and can even put you at frostbite risk at 32°F, but as the temps fall into extremes humidity plays less and less of a roll and the cold air alone starts to be the major contributor...

To put it in perspective, humidity at the North/South pole is near zero, but you would be a fool to believe you can't get frost bite at the North/South pole from the cold air even though there is little to no humidity in the air...

Sorry, you're absolutely right and I didn't even think of the poles examples. But I also meant it in a strictly chicken sense and most of the people have fairly moderate freezing temps. I know a lot of places go well below zero but that's hardly Antarctica temps. Though you are right that in those areas even not at the poles with it that cold, you do still need to worry about frost bite. But chickens also are not naked and have a full down jacket. Although I guess frost bite does occur on the naked parts. But I still maintain that with proper ventilation and draft protection they won't get frost bite, or shouldn't, even in the cold. Obviously maybe if they didn't have a coop or had a drafty or leaky coop it would present an issue then. But yeah hopefully that clarifies what I meant and I don't think anybody doubts you can get frost bite or hypothermia at the poles or else people would be running around naked down there :p

The open air poultry house for all climates... does that really mean 'all climates'?  I do see that they are suitable for some places that have snowy winters but here sometimes its -40 or colder (not counting wind chill) for days during our colder winter months. 

This was and still used well up into Canada with extremely similar climates :)

Its okay. im sorry it looked like i was just trying to sell a product when thats not the case at all i was just trying to offer something that was easy to install when building a chicken coupe for some air exchange so there wasnt a huge draft on the birds. Thanks for the advice on keeping the damper open i think im actually going to put a screen in so no small critters will get into the coupe. I'm sorry again if i offended anyone else on this forum like i said i wasnt trying to get a financial gain.

This was and still used well up into Canada with extremely similar climates
smile.png

I read some of the places it said it was used in Canada, they don't have the cold that we have.

Its okay. im sorry it looked like i was just trying to sell a product when thats not the case at all i was just trying to offer something that was easy to install when building a chicken coupe for some air exchange so there wasnt a huge draft on the birds. Thanks for the advice on keeping the damper open i think im actually going to put a screen in so no small critters will get into the coupe. I'm sorry again if i offended anyone else on this forum like i said i wasnt trying to get a financial gain.

It's okay, i think maybe people were confused when you said you made it because they thought it was your product or something. And that's a good idea :) on my new coop I'm adding gable vents and I'm going to put wire inside too. It has a plastic grid but still gonna put HC over it since critters can chew plastic

I read some of the places it said it was used in Canada, they don't have the cold that we have. 

Ohhh okay. Sorry, don't know too much about Canada's climate, which you probably guessed. I still think it would work though but maybe bigger (longer) than Jacks. Or maybe a little bit modified and tiny bit more closed?

yeah i really dont explain things very well. Thats why i thought the stainless steel was such a good idea. When i went into home depot i only saw plastic then a light bulb went off in my head " oh yeah my hubby has a ventilation business im going to snoop around" lol so i took one of his hood to his vent and was like ah ha this is amazing! As i know mice like to hide out in the winter that whys i thought to close the damper but after reading suggestions im going to add poultry wire instead of the damper so it can be left open all year long and the picture makes it look so much smaller then what it is. The building is huge compared to the vent. I guess my chickens live in a mansion instead of a coupe. LOL
lol.png
plus i didnt use any insulation so theres little cracks and such from the boards not exactly lining up so there is defiantly air flow but not enough to bother the birds.

yeah i really dont explain things very well. Thats why  i thought the stainless steel was such a good idea. When i went into home depot i only saw plastic then a light bulb went off in my head " oh yeah my hubby has a ventilation business im going to snoop around" lol so i took one of his hood to his vent and was like ah ha this is amazing! As i know mice like to hide out in the winter that whys i thought to close the damper but after reading suggestions im going to add poultry wire instead of the damper so it can be left open all year long and the picture makes it look so much smaller then what it is. The building is huge compared to the vent. I guess my chickens live in a mansion instead of a coupe. LOL :lol: plus i didnt use any insulation so theres little cracks and such from the boards not exactly lining up so there is defiantly air flow but not enough to bother the birds. 
sorry if I misinterpreted the info. I think it's a pretty good idea. My reference to your post wasn't really about the possibility of sales, that's why I said "mild" attempt. It's just where it kinda got kicked off. I just thought it was time for everyone to "lay" (ha!chicken pun) to rest before feelings did get hurt. I enjoy this thread and group too much for that...
Thanks everyone
263a.png

Back
Top Bottom