post your chicken coop pictures here!

The photos on the coop boxes have got to be photo shopped. The chickens in the pics are tiny!

Lol... They're like 3" tall.

Lol .. those pictures gave me such a chuckle .. TINY little chickens!

"Honey, I shrunk the chickens!"
lau.gif

Last edited:
We converted a stall of our old horse barn into a coop. My hubby, the fantastic carpenter, hung steel on the inside and made a few windows out of plexiglass and a vent covered in wire. We decided on sand for the floor - it works just like a giant kitty litter box and the girls love to dust bath in it. It was a fun project to make the nesting boxes (covered in plywood in the pics), the perch ladder, and the cute little ramps.

We converted a stall of our old horse barn into a coop. My hubby, the fantastic carpenter, hung steel on the inside and made a few windows out of plexiglass and a vent covered in wire. We decided on sand for the floor - it works just like a giant kitty litter box and the girls love to dust bath in it. It was a fun project to make the nesting boxes (covered in plywood in the pics), the perch ladder, and the cute little ramps.
Very nice. I see that your birds are fully feathered... That being the case, they really don't need the heat lamp, even in Ontario Canada
big_smile.png
I can't really tell the breed of your birds but they look like potential LF breeds. Though the roosts you have right now may fit their feet ok, when full sized, you'd be better to turn them 90 degrees to have the wide side up. When chickens roost, they snuggle down over their feet and rest their keel bone on the roost, so those will be a bit narrow. Changing them will also help them to keep their feet warm during cold months. They'll normally scoot forward so the first digit of their toes is over the edge and then cover everything with their feathers. You might also consider a staging board in front of the lower nest boxes as well as the upper... Otherwise, they may only be able to get to the one box right at the top of the plank. Welcome to BYC and good job!

Very nice. I see that your birds are fully feathered... That being the case, they really don't need the heat lamp, even in Ontario Canada :D   I can't really tell the breed of your birds but they look like potential LF breeds. Though the roosts you have right now may fit their feet ok, when full sized, you'd be better to turn them 90 degrees to have the wide side up. When chickens roost, they snuggle down over their feet and rest their keel bone on the roost, so those will be a bit narrow. Changing them will also help them to keep their feet warm during cold months. They'll normally scoot forward so the first digit of their toes is over the edge and then cover everything with their feathers. You might also consider a staging board in front of the lower nest boxes as well as the upper... Otherwise, they may only be able to get to the one box right at the top of the plank. Welcome to BYC and good job!

Thanks very much for the tips! I am a first time chicken lady so I wasn't too sure about the perch. Pinterest showed them made both ways, so I'll keep an eye out and change it the other way when they are older. The picture was taken a few weeks ago - their first night in the coop was below 0 and frost, so we had it up that night so I could sleep knowing they would be warm on the sand as they weren't too sure about the perch. The lamp is gone now. How many chickens will use one nesting box in your opinion? I told hubby I only wanted 4 for 10 birds, but he made six. I pointed out that the ledge doesn't reach all the way across so we may have to add it later but hopefully they will be happy with 4 boxes. Thanks again for all your insight! Designing the coop was my biggest stressors because I couldn't find good info on the Internet

How big is that stall that would make a perfect size for my new coop

Just finished my coop today made it out of an old tack shed we had for the horse..

It won't let me post a pic tho
1f611.png

Last edited:
I started off with a TSC 6-8 bird prefab coop for $150. It fit 4 10 week old birds barely. Build a 6x8x4 run from pressure treated 2x4 for about $120 including all my wire and hinges for 2 doors etc. Then I built a 6x4x4 coop out of pressure treated 2x4 and prepainted plywood siding and stuff... like fort knox. for about $180 with wood left over. So for $300 I can now have my 4 full size birds and have room for a little chicken math down the road if it comes up. Never going prefab again. At least I have a time-out coop or a place to raise some pullets until they acclimate with the rest of the flock as needed.

I'm a frequent shopper at Costco. I got all my citrus trees, planters, bags organic soil, organic seeds from them. I saw they also have raised garden bed and chicken coop/run in store as well but the price turned me away.

I took pictures of the products with my phone

It looks like they dropped the price within 1-2 months..

this is the raised garden bed they have $180--> $100

original price

current price after 2 months or so

at first they had this chicken coop which i thought was a good deal at first.. but the price turned me away $470

they replaced the coop above later with this coop. This coop is about 2/3 the size of the first one but only $10 cheaper

and also 1 month or so later the price dropped $460-> $300

Last edited:
Quote: depends on the breed of horse to be kept. Most box stalls these days are 12 x 12 feet.... Some of the older ones were 10 x 10 feet. If it were a tie stall It could have been about eight by ten.... Tie stalls mean just that three sides and no door you tied your horse to the manger it was a place to sleep for the night and eat without others stealing the food. Usually working horses got those.

deb

Back
Top Bottom