post your chicken coop pictures here!

Here is my mobile chicken tractor. The front end of the tailor is closed off its about 10 ft x8 ft. Ok it's really not mobile,but as you can see if I want to move it I can. The plan is let the chickens out and under for now. I will place another ramp to a real tractor soon. I have 5 black and copper Marans.hoping to build from there.

one of the few type

this coop reminded me of those shipping container houses that they have in some states now a day.

I have to ask, what's the typical inside temperature on a hot day?

On that subject, since I was a chef when I was younger and know a few tricks, egg whites cook at 144 and 149° F while the yolk cooks at 149 and 158° F so if you use one of the new fancy digital controlled combination steamer ovens and set it at about 145-148°F and 100% humidity you can make perfect soft boiled eggs every time, never a risk of overcooking and you can hold them in that oven for an extended period of time with no overcooking... Or you can set it for about 141-143°F and 100% humidity and make faux poached eggs in the shell, that again can sit in that oven and hold without over cooking for a long time...

How long to actually cook? I went near 150 on my first batch and left them for 3 min and they were watery, not cooked. They looked somewhat more watery than room temp eggs but not cooked unless you can actually cook eggs without them solidifying?

Guess i didnt really think it through. Synthetic turf or outside carpet might be as comfy and warm as straw and if they dont sleep or roost in them they will stay clean. Ok, smoke is rolling out, light is getting brighter, might just rethink this. If i build a self washing conveyor for the floor i might not need straw at all....Just kidding, i need some humus for the garden anyway :) Wait a minute! Are you just trying to proove the fact that chicken coops are never done????

Responding to the comment that he was not prepared to raise chickens at all, the family just brought some home one day and here we are. My wife used to have love birds and a few others when she was young and begged me to let her have "A" bird. Next thing i know i have 4 birds, bantams, and no place to keep them. Anyone else have that experience? Just kidding, ive seen lots of posts like this. Amazing where it goes from there , eh?

40 years ago when i moved in the township had rules for keeping "livestock" which they considered chickens to be. Had to have 3 acres to have even one. I have 1 acre and it used to be truely rural but all the farm land has been subdivided and i have neighbors. Ive found that if you dont make a fuss, keep them out of sight and sound nobody really cares so here i am as well.......

Just in case i am forced to give it up i designed my coop and run as an extension of my pole barn so it is ready to use as a barn with little additional material or work. Its wide enough to park cars in it if it comes down to that :) Meanwhile we are enjoying the project as long as it lasts and, yes, they are never done.

Here is my mobile chicken tractor. The front end of the tailor is closed off its about 10 ft x8 ft. Ok it's really not mobile,but as you can see if I want to move it I can. The plan is let the chickens out and under for now. I will place another ramp to a real tractor soon. I have 5 black and copper Marans.hoping to build from there.

How big is the shipping container I think that's what I am going to do for a coop now I never thought of that before I was just going to get an old school bus from my moms work.

Last edited:
How big is the shipping container I think that's what I am going to do for a coop now I never thought of that before I was just going to get an old school bus from my moms work.

You'll just have to insulate well, especially in a warm or humid climate. The containers get crazy hot since they are metal. Additionally the insulation protects from humidity from the environment and from the chickens. Because the humidity will collect worse in a metal structure and causes metal to deteriorate even faster.

We plan on converting two 40' shipping containers into a garage/shop next year. Since we will already be insulating and adding a new roof structure as shade, it won't cost us much more to convert half of one of the containers to a coop. But just starting from nothing can add up fast.

Ya well it will have some windows and gable vents I will paint the outside and the inside the floor boards will be covered in rubber roofing and the doors will just be the man door instead of making another.

You'll just have to insulate well, especially in a warm or humid climate. The containers get crazy hot since they are metal. Additionally the insulation protects from humidity from the environment and from the chickens. Because the humidity will collect worse in a metal structure and causes metal to deteriorate even faster.

We plan on converting two 40' shipping containers into a garage/shop next year. Since we will already be insulating and adding a new roof structure as shade, it won't cost us much more to convert half of one of the containers to a coop. But just starting from nothing can add up fast.

My father in law in Arkansas said a couple of his friends took two shipping containers laid some trusses across them thus creating two secure sheds on the sides with an open air chicken coop/run in the middle as you just need to finish the front and back walls to close it off... The roof over it helps keep them cool... He even installed a truss roof about 2 feet above his trailer down there to act as a sun blocker, basically a big car port for your house ;)

You could even do it with two long ones on the side and a third half sized one in the middle as the coop proper with a covered run, I suppose...

Last edited:
On that subject, since I was a chef when I was younger and know a few tricks, egg whites cook at 144 and 149° F while the yolk cooks at 149 and 158° F so if you use one of the new fancy digital controlled combination steamer ovens and set it at about 145-148°F and 100% humidity you can make perfect soft boiled eggs every time, never a risk of overcooking and you can hold them in that oven for an extended period of time with no overcooking... Or you can set it for about 141-143°F and 100% humidity and make faux poached eggs in the shell, that again can sit in that oven and hold without over cooking for a long time...

How long to actually cook? I went near 150 on my first batch and left them for 3 min and they were watery, not cooked. They looked somewhat more watery than room temp eggs but not cooked unless you can actually cook eggs without them solidifying?

It's been a long time, and we never actually stopped cooking them, you would toss in dozens of them and pull them out as needed all breakfast or lunch rush and rotate new ones in as needed... With the combination steam/oven they don't dry out or overcook as long as the temp is proper and the humidity is at 100%, it's like they are in a suspended state... Off the top of my head I want to say probably 20 minutes minimum cook time, but as I said it's been over 20 years since I got to play with those fancy combination ovens so a lot of those numbers that used to be right up front in the mind are tucked way back now...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom