post your chicken coop pictures here!

I have another update on the coop and run build. I got the hen house roof installed the ridge is a continuous vent with 1/8" gutter screen blocking the bug access the sofits on the top roof are also open with the 1/8" screen. Mike
Keep a broom with a long handle close to clean your vents. The dander will plug off normal screening in no time. But the big blockage to 1/8th inch is feathers. Molt season my windows need bloomed off daily and the lower vents. Very nice coop you have!

I built this completely by myself without help. I didn't have blue prints or anything. My hens love it.
Bamboo is such an awesomely under utilized material at least in the U.S. .... incredibly strong and flexible.... Excellent for humid climates too. How did you attach the wire..... :pop :caf deb
Deb, would you be able to grow any bamboo in your climate? I have a start of some that gets up to 20 ft tall, it's a cane pole type. If you had a wet area or gray water area you may be able to start your own patch of it. Just a thought I had, trying to help.

Thank you! Well, there are 2 vents already & 2 windows...do I need more? & the nesting boxes do have lips, the man doors will also, & the chicken's door. We just mounted the boxes, one on either side, with plenty of room left over for more boxes. Hubby owns an industrial wood packaging company, so I get free pine shavings, all I want. It really came in handy with the horses! They used a TON more than chickens. He's going to build a storage loft too. I'm looking for some kind of plastic inserts for the nesting boxes for easier cleanup. Litter boxes, disposable foil cookwear...any ideas? Gotta be 14" x 15" to fit. Can't wait to do their outside area, lotsa entertaining things for them to do. Swings, etc. is there a special kind of sand for their sand box?

Yes you may need to add more vents even if they are only used during the summer. Make covered ones if able. Can't see the ones you have . Our first coop we added more vents for year round use. Another thing with Windows, remove the screens that were in them if you haven't. The dander plugs it up and no air will flow at all. Cover your windows on the outside with hardware cloth and you will have no worries maybe small bugs is all.

Quote: Deb, would you be able to grow any bamboo in your climate? I have a start of some that gets up to 20 ft tall, it's a cane pole type. If you had a wet area or gray water area you may be able to start your own patch of it. Just a thought I had, trying to help.
Not enough water here in the desert. I am finding it on craigslist here though.

By the coast its invasive and will choke out your landscaping in no time. It takes diligent management. But I have thought of using it for a hoop coop Get it green and form it into the hoops and let it dry. What ever you do It needs to be dry before coming in contact with the ground... because it will sprout.

Its such an excellent renewable resource though.....

deb

I built this completely by myself without help. I didn't have blue prints or anything. My hens love it.
Bamboo is such an awesomely under utilized material at least in the U.S. .... incredibly strong and flexible.... Excellent for humid climates too. How did you attach the wire..... :pop :caf deb
Deb, would you be able to grow any bamboo in your climate? I have a start of some that gets up to 20 ft tall, it's a cane pole type. If you had a wet area or gray water area you may be able to start your own patch of it. Just a thought I had, trying to help.
Not enough water here in the desert. I am finding it on craigslist here though. By the coast its invasive and will choke out your landscaping in no time. It takes diligent management. But I have thought of using it for a hoop coop Get it green and form it into the hoops and let it dry. What ever you do It needs to be dry before coming in contact with the ground... because it will sprout. Its such an excellent renewable resource though..... deb
The coop worker whom gave me my starts has a patch of it probably 40x 40 ft. He uses it for everything! Trapping stakes, shade you name it. He cuts his down every two years and mows around it to keep it from getting larger. It's his bird sanctuary in the mean time. Ifor mine makes it thru our winter it's going down the hill on our property line to block access to wandering campers from next door.

Keep a broom with a long handle close to clean your vents. The dander will plug off normal screening in no time. But the big blockage to 1/8th inch is feathers. Molt season my windows need bloomed off daily and the lower vents. Very nice coop you have!

Thanks if the screen is too small I will replace it with hardware cloth later.

Mike

Haha! I'm willing to share...anyway, I think it'll work. Picture half a pizza box inside these nesting boxes, they fit perfectly, are inexpensive, replaceable & EASY!! I can simply put the bedding in it, hope the 2.5" lips will be enough. If not, my bad, I'll deal with it. Still easier than horse messes. I
have lupus & RA, so after 60, I'm lookin for easy peasy.

Here's another tip, if you haven't done it already.....you might have that crafty hubby of yours put a slanted top on that nesting unit. If not, birds will love to stand up there and preen, roost and poop. Lots of poop.

What's preen ?
It's the word used to describe when birds groom themselves. They will stand and pick through their feathers, dislodging debris and loose skin cells from their skin, then reach back and get oil from the gland at the base of their tail and distribute that throughout their feathers to waterproof and smooth them, keeping them cleaner and more weatherproof. After they are done you can often see a pile of dust, small feathers, and dead skin cells at the spot where they most like to relax and do this grooming. And, of course, the obligatory poop.

You're so funny! Preen. Ok, think of a peacock struttin his stuff, think of someone staring adoringly at themselves in a mirror while brushing their hair...think of chickens, or cats, grooming themselves.

Back
Top Bottom