post your chicken coop pictures here!

Th
:love Oh my goodness! Does it come with 24/7 room service and free satellite too? Or do they have to pay extra for that?

Quick question: Has anyone tried using that liquid rubber I've seen on TV to seal their coop flooring?

The floor has clear epoxy on it. I did see that liquid rubber stuff on tv after we had already put the epoxy on. I imagine it would work well to protect the floor too.

Last edited:
I am happy as a hen that the coop is done! Thanks to my wonderful man with help from his dad and my 2 little girls. We even had extra material so we built a little coop for the teenage chicks, I call it the half-way-house.

We where reluctant to build a large coop since we are house shopping. We built it in a way however that makes it come apart relatively easy.

My girls fun messy work. Got all the paint and shingles for free :)

Still have to finish the trim on the nesting box, ran out of tape.

Right now I only have 2 hens. Have to wait for the babies to grow up a bit before they move in.

My man with the half-way-house.

that looks like an awesome coop! you have very pretty daughters
wee.gif

I've been lurking around this site for months and finally decided to posts my pictures because now that we have reached end of August I am now starting to get concerned about winter.
.1st - I live in Mascouche, Quebec (subbarb of Montreal)
2nd - I live in a city, not rural or anything.. ok house and tiny backyard
3rd - Thought it would be fun to have chiken since I'm allergic to anything else with fur

Here it goes
Like I mentionned, my yard is not that big and I was looking to house 2 hens. I'm a single mom with a 4yo daughter.
So while looking around my yard I've notice a wasted space under my balcony steps.

From what I've learned so far, each hen do not need that much space inside the coop so I figured that 16sq. on the bottom would be enough since my steps are 4feet wide and so happens to be 4f deep and then again 4f high.

And so it began
Took most of my lumber from under the balcony which was a gift from the previous owner or the ones before :) and my brother provided my with a lot of pallets and last but not least one of my friends had a brand new 50' roll of chiken wire.

My first build ever !! So far so good Boy was I proud and did not know what I was getting myself into

Yup, I started swearing right about there.. For a beginner, trying to square something in a triangle and uneven soil... oh the joy !!
Well I guess I took it one step at a time.. and A LOT of dry fittings

I wanted to have access from every angle so every opening are actually doors

From this site and others, I learned about poop trays so I did incorporate one

This ramp is actually in the way since both my hens jump to the 2nd level which is only 2' above the ground.. Maybe one day it will have some use if I have chicks

Here I installed the nestbox and the trunk from my Xmas tree... Yay recycle !!

I made a door for the nestbox so that they could do their business in private and in the dark.

Meet Vanilla and Caramel

1st egg came the following morning of acquiring the hens yippee !

Again from reading posts here and learning about feeders and waterers.. My homemade feeder which only hold about 4days of grain.. I'm back on this site to find the best way for my needs to get a larger one

This is my waterer.. First of all, everywhere you look on the internet everybody stress about the fresh clean and accessible water and the fact that they need them every second of the day it seems.. Well I happen to have 2 water dispenser so I took the one that no longer works and hid it under my balcony and it is all rigged up to my outside faucet and put the toilet thingy which by the way fits just right in the basin to stop overflow.. Then it comes out under the trellis and I used old pipes I found to get it into the coop with a nipple attached.. The long pipe sticking upright is actually higher than the water dispenser so it wont overflow and i put an aquarium eater.. don't know if it'll work, we'll see this winter.

This is the view from behind the nest.

This is what it looks like now with both doors on each side open. I could not put the roost higher than the nest cuz of the restrictive height

Here is where I started to get a little carried away with this coop project.. Again from reading on the subject I noticed that I needed to let them out of the coop.. I tried makeshift pvc boxes which was a disaster, took some pallet and made some perimeter but needed something more..

Took 2 pallets and some leftover 2x4s and made them my version of a run. Even put wheels on it..
Well for my backyard it is quite huge.... then ding ding ding ... slide it under the balcony where all the lumber used to be :D

Now how to get them from the coop to the run ????

I am thinking now that it is more a labyrinth than anything else

I think that they want more space.. so I've created another perimeter between my house and my pool, but by then my neighbour had started renovations and need to tare down our fence, so I miss about 6' wide by 30' long of yard.. so now my girls roam around lumber, bicycles and what not.

All of this and they look happy.. they both have given me an egg a day since I had them.. I counted #136 to date

NOW the thing is.. I dont know what to do about this whole thing for the winter..
I went to somebody's house to disassemble a big coop, brought it home.. still in pieces du to lack of space until I get it back.. but then again do I really want to put a coop on the other side of my house where I never shuffle snow or do I want to keep em close by and just try my best to keep them hot enough for them to survive winter..
A lot of friends have suggested a fall BBQ

While I'm thinking about it I have built these (out of pinterest) I guess I'm getting quite ok with tools :p

My almost completed coop. Worked from online images of the Carolina Coops with a few modifications (mostly the result of having to improvise due to lack of any plans). Excited to get the chickens.

I don't know how to fix it sorry it was a short rooster crowing video he is just learning how to crow. My daughter has the original video on her phone and she shared it to my FB page I tried to make it view able to the public.

Back
Top Bottom