post your chicken coop pictures here!

We made this coop right alongside the shed in our backyard under the awning adjacent to the shed. All the siding is strand board siding I picked up for free at a local portable shed company. The floors are pallets, obtained for free from our local newspaper company and I took strand board and overlayed it on the pallets to complete the floor. The siding was nailed to 4 pallets and then erected for the walls. I have recently put up the chicken wire fencing and constructed the door to the run. Still need to put up the doors on the coop itself (access to the hens sleeping area and where laying boxes will be) and also finish laying the linoleum down on the floors which I also obtained for free at a local flooring store. All in all I have spent only about $30-40 on this coop, basically nails, screws, hinges and locks.I will post the finished product soon as the girls will be out of the brooder in about

3-4 weeks.

Chickies grow fast! Hurry, hurry! Haha! Having a good roof over a coop is EVERYTHING! For 5 years we had to keep tarping our first little coop so with the new coop we put a patio roof over it.

i wish i thought about an elevated poop tray. my hubby already cut the hole for it at ground level. that would have given the chickens that much more floor space!

I put sand in the run and in the poop tray! I scoop it like a litter box. Way easier to keep clean
smile.png
I use granulated Zeolite ("SweetPDZ"), a little more expensive than sand, granted, But along with all the benefits of sand it also absorbs and neutralizes ammonia; keeps the coop smelling better (healthier for my ladies too!). You can get it at TSC and for some strange reason they usually keep it in the horse section, which is probably one reason why so few people here know about it, I guess.
I mean really, how many people here keep horses in their chicken coop?
lau.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom