post your chicken coop pictures here!

Added polycarbonate greenhouse panel "window" inserts to both the coop and the feed room. Should provide protection to the birds once it gets cold. The feed room window is double-paneled ... just because that's what I had on-hand. The local Home Depot carries 8mm panels that are 24"x96".

The top trim molding is installed so it hangs down over the rough opening, creating a socket at the top. Panels slide up, over the bottom tab, and drop into place. View attachment 1149047 View attachment 1149048 View attachment 1149049 View attachment 1149050

Beautiful coop! How did you solve the issue of rain leaking into the nestbox from the top hinges?

We don't get much rain here but eventually all coops develop fissures, gaps, warps, etc, that eventually allow rain to enter the nestbox/coop. I built a patio roof over our external nestbox coop so that we don't have to face rain issues in the future. The patio roof takes the abuse of sun and rain so the coop doesn't have to.

First, a concrete patio foundation
DSCN6527.JPG

Setting up the coop so builders could fit the patio roof overhead
DSCN7162.JPG

Construction of roof
DSCN7261.JPG

4x4 enclosed kennel space added to existing 4x4 kennel (under coop) -- total enclosed kennel space of 4x8 until we release the hens to free range everyday. Coop stays cool in summer and dry in winter.
DSCN7587.JPG

Am very curious what is being done to deter predators. 80 chickens could be 0 chickens in one week around here.

Good question. I'd have the same problem. Diego mentioned that the chickens didn't roam very far and stayed near the structures which provided protection from hawks. Strictly at a guess, I'd bet that the owner had electrified fencing around the property which would keep other predators out.

One thing that I've learned is that any free-range setup means that you have to plan for at least some losses. If you raise your own chicks, then I suppose they consider that they can maintain a level number of chickens and egg laying despite occasional losses.

Good question. I'd have the same problem. Diego mentioned that the chickens didn't roam very far and stayed near the structures which provided protection from hawks. Strictly at a guess, I'd bet that the owner had electrified fencing around the property which would keep other predators out.

One thing that I've learned is that any free-range setup means that you have to plan for at least some losses. If you raise your own chicks, then I suppose they consider that they can maintain a level number of chickens and egg laying despite occasional losses.
Around here and very likely where you are, raccoons are quite popular. They are smart and know where lunch is available. Why go anywhere else if the supply is abundant . They do have descent appetites as well. Now lets say the mom and dad has a number of offspring she is caring for. I have seen herds :gig of them before in my yard.You get the point I'm making.
An electric fence is a good deterrent against many predators. Many peeps use a hot wire that they bait with chicken skins, peanut butter and other treats. The message is transmitted well before the predator reaches close proximity.
Hawks, are opportunistic as well. In my observation, they prefer single serve meals. Chicks and small pullets would be of choice. Anything they can grab and fly away with. Lost many pigeons to them. :hit Not sure if the hawk got them, but pigeon decided not to return after the shock. Some did 2 days later. :) A full size chicken would not be their first choice. There are always exceptions, and also determined when food supply is scarce and hunger is deep. They also have appetite for rodent population. That is what makes them useful, although troublesome for you if keeping chickens.

Hate to see this thread die off. Maybe it is not easy to find, compared to some others with coop pictures. Many peeps just start new threads.
I like to use the link to this when peeps have questions about what kind of coop would be best. They can scan thru the many pages of pictures and get IDEAS. They do not need to read all 16,911 postings.
I like to view new coops, and ideas. :thumbsup

:goodpost: LUV IT:thumbsup

I like to repurpose things as well.
That is what is so wonderful with peeps posting their ideas and pictures.
There may be things in the backyard that no one gave much thought of reusing.

Back
Top Bottom