Post your lovebird pics!! =)

i would worry about a hamster wheel in the bird's age..even supervised. Lovebirds DO like rolling things though. i give mine a big round oatmeal container with the bottom 1/2 cut off so it's a big tube. I stand it on end and fill it with crumpled paper, "hand" toys and what not. They get in the container,throw everything out of it, then tip it over ,stand in it and roll it around the cage...sometimes they stand on top of it and roll it around.

Here's our 5 year old Dutch Blue Peach-faced LB, my son's bird. The first couple are from Christmas this year, the last couple are from Animal Wonders Summer Camps 2012. She is extremely sweet.

Is she ever pretty!
I was told "blue" was a dutch blue lovebird but she's more of a green with a blue bum. I just love all of the colors they come in! Thinking of getting some more.
smile.png

Is she ever pretty!
I was told "blue" was a dutch blue lovebird but she's more of a green with a blue bum. I just love all of the colors they come in! Thinking of getting some more.
smile.png

She looks like one too me. She will change colors as she ages. There are so many new colors out there, it would be fun to have a hand-fed one of each
wink.png

Another pic of "Dutchie Bluey", my son wanted her to pose in a tree when he saw me posting her pics

Here's our hand-fed "wild-type" Peach-Faced, "Dobie". He's close to 9 years now. I let him & Dutchie hatch a few a couple of years back and all young were wild-type of course. Both of these birds, even after producing a clutch, are very tame and sweet. They still live together, but I no longer let her hatch any.

Both of these birds have done wonderful with groups of children during our Animal Wonders programs. They never bite and allow all ages to handle them. I've had lovebirds of some type of species nearly non-stop since 1988, one of my all time favorite birds (aside from galliformes of course
wink.png
). When I personally couldn't have any due to living in an apartment in the city, I talked my curator into getting a colony of Fischer's for my aviary at the zoo. Great birds for the beginners and when you can get a hand-fed, bonded bird, you'll have an incredible pet!!!

Best of luck with "Blue", keep us posted with pics!!

Dan

Aww all of your birds are so pretty
Its' hard to find hand raised love birds where I am, especially beautiful coloured ones like you guys have.
Mine was a lucky find
The previous owner was moving overseas and couldnt take her with

This is my lutino peach-face baby Luna
She's the most friendly bird I've ever seen
When we take her to get her wings clipped the people at the shop are always amazed at how relaxed and friendly she is
2zp2s7t.jpg

Her favourite things to do are cuddle and shred up paper
seriously
It's not safe to leave her near any important paper
And she'll jump and hang on to my book for dear life in I have her around while I'm reading

see those little cardboard houses in the first photo?
they were reduced to scraps before the week as over
I'm not exaggerating at all

tumblr_lzzo0rHGKv1qgcr5yo2_250.gif

every month or so she lays us a pretty little egg
We're thinking of getting her a mate so they can breed and also so she doesn't get lonely

Last edited:
I have a peachface lovebird that looks like sarbee's. Her name is Lola. My husband and I make a trip to our local pet shop for seeds for my caged birds about twice a month. Every day we visited we always made a stop at Lola's cage. At the beginning Lola had a mate, a beautiful lutino peachface. After being at the pet shop for six months, the lovebirds finally went on sale and Lola's mate was sold, probably due to his rare color. I don't know why the shop didn't stress that they should go together as a pair since they were bonded for so long, but to them it's all about the money. Normally I don't buy pet shop critters but we felt sorry for Lola and decided to give her a forever home. After all, we felt she was there long enough. Lola needed a lot of work since she had probably not been handled the entire time she was at the pet shop. She ended up bonding with our parrotlet, Jack. Though they don't live in the same cage together, they live side by side and she adores him!

Back
Top Bottom