postoffice OPEN on SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!!

thowe

Songster
11 Years
Nov 27, 2008
NH
mm hatchery told me my order may be in on sunday!!! is the post office really open on sunday, or are my baby chicks going to sit around the post office. Can anyone help with this ? ? Thanks

I've read that some people have gotten them on Sunday, but I'm not sure how since the Post Office is always closed on Sundays as far as I know.

Anyway, my chicks are from MM (got them in February) and I got a call before dawn on Monday morning to tell me they had arrived. It made me wonder if they had been there on Sunday but they were closed. I was freaked out that they all would have died sitting there for a whole extra day, but all 27 (free rare plus one extra they gave me) were all alive and well. I try to keep in mind that McMurray always hatches and ships on Saturdays, but some people don't get their deliveries until Tuesday or Wednesday, so Monday isn't so bad, even if they have to sit in the office all of Sunday...

Good luck to you!

The mail is always moving. Just because your local PO is closed doen't mean every department shuts down. Special overnight shipping is delivered on Sunday to your house. Big distribution moves 24/7.

The main distribution center is open on Sunday. Our local Post office is not. Our first shipment of chicks didn't arrive to our local PO until Tuesday morning after Easter. That was a little to long for some of the chicks. However, when the replacement chicks were sent the next week, we were expecting a call Monday or Tuesday, but got the call from the Main distribution center on Sunday! We drove the 36 min to get them instead of waiting till monday for them to arrive at the local PO.

They are closed on Sundays, but.... Perhaps you could call on Saturday, talk to the Supervisor, and ask if the clerk on duty can call you IF they come in. Usually, someone has to be at the post office for an hour or two EVERY DAY because mail usually comes in EVERY DAY, but because they're closed, it isn't delivered until the following workday. Monday (unless Monday is a holiday - Memorial Day) or Tuesday. It's truly out of the ordinary for someone to let you get mail on a off day, but maybe you could work something out w/ your local P.O. Good Luck!

Last edited:
There used to be someone who came in everyday but since budget cuts have been implimented that's not true anymore. At least not in our local PO's.

We received our chicks on a Sunday--It wasn't our 'local' post office, but rather, the one downtown--The PO's aren't open for business, but they will call you when they receive your chicks (mine were 9 am on a Sunday AM!!) --They have workers there sorting etc... If you are nervous though, go ahead and call your post office, but I would guess that they are there
smile.png
--

When I started thinking about getting chickens, I asked my local (small town) PO what would happen if they came in on a weekend. I was told to let them (PO) know as soon as I ordered the chicks to tell them the estimated delivery date and to give them my phone number in case it wasn't visible on the box. Once this happens, they will be looking for the shipment, and if it ends up being scheduled on an off day (Sunday, holiday, ect) then they will confirm a time with you to pick them up from the poor person who had to come in. That way they only have to pay that person for a short period of time and you both are expected to be there. I don't know if I just have a great PO or if this is normal, but that's what mine said.

Just this weekend I got a call on a Sunday from the post office telling me that the chicks were in and I can pick them up at the loading dock at the main post office or they could deliver them to my house on Monday. When I got there, someone else was picking up his chick order, too.

Back
Top Bottom