Potato sprout timing question?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So... when you go potatoes, the number of days required for them to grow and for the plant to finish production and die off is much less than one year. IF you do the math on this, in theory you might be able to get maybe a second batch in before fall/winter, even if you don't start the second batch until the first batch is done. The same might be true of a third batch even if you were in Florida or some place like the Gulf Coast with immense growing potential.

So my question is... what's the shortest time you can... use a grown spud from to hurry and sprout it right after picking it? Not sure if I worded this very clearly its hard to put into words. But basically, say I did a first batch of potatoes from say April to mid-July, and then dug them up right then ... how can I then use those right away to just plant them right then and there to do a second batch? I would think this possible but I wanted to be sure if there's a trick to making them grow again.

Like with some garden vegetables you have to chill the seeds a few weeks or they won't sprout.

So I wanted to know if it can be done a certain way and how to make them not wait to sprout a new plant but to grow right off? Since I'm higher elevation I also need to make sure I don't fumble around and have them not be sure if they are going to sprout or not and waste a month or so also.

Back
Top Bottom