Potential coccidiosis? Or is it something else? Help!

Aug 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Cream Crested Legbar, 14/15 week old pullet, very under weight (judged by prominence of keel bone)
2) What is the behaviour, exactly.
Lethargic, puffed up, tail droopy, wings away from body, eyes squinted, sneezed a few times the other day while it was a little chillier than it had been.
Barely moving around during the day, usually lays down in one spot with eyes closed for prolonged periods of time, will get up to drink a few times a day and may peck one or two items but not really eat anything.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
At least a week from what I can tell during videos of other chickens in the coop during this past week, 14th of July she was acting spry and like any healthy chicken.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No other bird’s experiencing symptoms, only her.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No signs of trauma, no visible injuries/bleeding, no palpable broken bones (have just felt my first broken bone in a chicken earlier this evening actually).
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
It had been very on and off weather for rain and it being slightly colder while other days were very hot and humid?
Their run got more damp than usual.
I had caught a day the other caretaker for the birds had not checked their water and it was bone dry and they all chugged a bunch of water as soon as I brought something in for them.
Muddy/poopy stagnant water in little pooling areas around the property?
I just fenced them off into an enclosed run as their were eating the farmer’s wheat crop (it seems I did this after though judging by her actions in videos I was browsing just now).
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Before I noticed her not eating, she had been on a starter grower feed until they were able to switch to layer crumble. I’ve had some layer crumble available in the coop though as I have older birds in there as well that are coming into lay.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
No blood in her stool. Very watery and green with very little green tinted pellet like pieces of feces, with lots of irate that is tinted (sometimes faintly) green.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
No treatment, separated from the main flock so she doesn’t get bred by the roosters or picked on by the other pullets/hens.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I’s love to be able to treat myself, but I may need to see a vet if she is in need of antibiotics or something.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
IMG_0510.jpeg

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
Does a picture work? Pine shavings are the bedding, the same brand we’ve always used with the horse and I’ve used with my first flock.
IMG_0337.jpeg

She passed earlier this afternoon, maybe over an hour ago now is when I was messaged by the other caretaker of the birds who was checking in on her today.
She had picked at scrambled eggs today but just couldn’t keep up the fight unfortunately.

RIP little Pullet, you are with the others who have moved on as well now. She is in a better place, eating all the treats and frolicking with the others. 💕

Here is a good article on coccidiosis. Not sure if that is what your gal has but it has a list of symptoms and behavior that might be useful. https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/coccidiosis-in-chickens-how-to-identify-and-treat/
Thank you for the link! It gave me some good information for the future.

She had all the symptoms but no bloody stool. I’m unsure what did her in, and I unfortunately don’t have the means to do a necropsy on her as it’s been a bit afterwards now already. I’m unsure if the timeframe on when to do a necropsy or not if they had not been chilled after passing.

Back
Top Bottom