Poultry Dictionary -- Let's help out the New Guys

P - R

Peck(ing) order: the social organisation of a flock ranging in a ladder formation from the most dominate to the most subordinate member of the flock.

Pendulous crop: an enlarged crop usually due to impaction and which hangs downwards in an abnormal way.

Perchery system: a system of housing consisting of a litter floor plus a number of perches installed to increase the number of birds that the house will hold. Some of the perches carry feeders and drinkers.

Point of lay: females just prior to starting to lay.

Preen gland (uropygeal gland): a gland located at the base of the tail which produces a special “oil” secretion for the conditioning or preening of the feathers.

Primaries: the ten long, stiff flight feathers at the outer extremity of the trailing edge of the wing. They are separated from the inner group or secondaries by the “axial” feather.

Production efficiency: the relationship between the various major production factors which, depending on the class of stock, will include food consumption, live weight gain, egg production and mortality.

Proventriculus: the glandular stomach of birds located in front of the gizzard.

Pullet: a female in her first laying season. Often used to refer to young females post brooding to point of lay.

Purebred: a group of birds having the same origin, and able to reproduce their own likeness in their offspring. Purebred birds have the same genotype, but all birds with the same genotype are not necessarily purebreds.

Relative humidity: the percentage of moisture saturation in the air. There is a direct relationship between temperature and relative humidity - as the temperature increases, the relative humidity decreases and as temperature decreases, the relative humidity increases.

Roost: the perch on which fowls rest or sleep.

Rooster: male bird.

Chris

Last edited:
S - U

Sanitise: that part of the cleaning procedure aimed at killing as many microbes as possible.

Secondaries: see primaries.

Semi-intensive: a system of housing where the birds have access to a shelter house and an outside run enclosed by a fence to keep the birds in and predators out.

Sexing: the act of dividing the flock into its component males and females.

Skillion roof: a roof with a single pitch or slope.

Slatted floor system: a system of housing similar to the litter system except that wooden slats approximately 2 cm wide with a similar gap between are used instead of litter. The faeces pass through the gaps and out of reach of the birds housed therein.

Slave hopper: the short term food holding hopper integral to the food delivery system of a mechanical feeding system and additional to the main food storage silo.

Soluble grit: various sources of calcium in the diet - usually a granulated or grit form of limestone.

Spent hen: a layer that has reached the end of her economic egg laying life.

Started stock: layer replacements post brooding to point of lay.

Stubbing: removal of the short stub or pin feathers after plucking.

Thermostat: a device sensitive to temperature and usually used to control the operation of temperature modifying equipment.

Chris

Last edited:
V - Z

Vent: the common external opening from the cloaca for the digestive system, urinary system and reproductive system.

Vitamin/mineral premix: a concentrated source of various vitamins and/or minerals mixed together so as to make the adding of them to the diet much easier (beware of antagonistic materials).

Wet bulb thermometer: a thermometer with a wick covering the bulb. The wick keeps the bulb wet by drawing water from a reservoir. Used in conjunction with a dry bulb thermometer, a reference to appropriate tables comparing wet and dry bulb readings will indicate the relative humidity.

Chris

Quote:
You're reinventing the wheel. This has already been done. Both the APA and the ABA have extensive glossaries in their Standards. Some of the definitions that are given here are incomplete or questionable. The parent clubs have the correct answers.

I know it's been done. This way, however, it is far more convenient for those who don't have SOP books (like many greenhorns and Backyard-ers), or those who do not use the SOP books (like me, who don't breed for the standard). Which definitions are incorrect?

Last edited:
Quote:
i'm sorry that just sounds to painfull for me to even put my oegb through. he's from ideal hatchery and i dont plan on showing him (ok maybe the kids will for 4-h but thats it). me personally like them better with their combs and wattles and i would be afraid that it wouldnt stop bleeding and my roo would bleed to death.

edit: what do you mean the earlobes i have seen videos of people dubbing but never seen them mess with the earlobes.?

Last edited:
JG- Jersey Giant
BJG- Black or Blue Jersey Giant
BBSJG- Blue,Black,Splash Jersey Giant
splash JG- Usually a Black JG with white
Blue JG- Natural blue coloring, that now can be re produced. The blue was a natural genetic off shoot. or "sport"
Sport- rare Naturally acurring genetic alteration.

Quote:
i'm sorry that just sounds to painfull for me to even put my oegb through. he's from ideal hatchery and i dont plan on showing him (ok maybe the kids will for 4-h but thats it). me personally like them better with their combs and wattles and i would be afraid that it wouldnt stop bleeding and my roo would bleed to death.

edit: what do you mean the earlobes i have seen videos of people dubbing but never seen them mess with the earlobes.?

everything on the face is dubbed, comb, wattles, and lobes. And to show OEGB they HAVE to be dubbed. Natural (Un-dubbed) birds are immediately disqualified.

Back
Top Bottom