Poultry Predator Identification

Great article thanks. Had something kill my chicken and all that was left was its head and feathers scattered around and inside the pen. The head was outside the pen. I suspect a oppossum or a raccoon. what do you all think.

Hello I was reading your post and I live in upstate new york as well an I have not lost any of my hens thank god sorry about your lost. But you were saying that your hens were attacked when stuff missing off of them and your not sure what animal it was well where I live I have not seen any weasel or mink. We have in the past have coons but not since we have had our chickens the only think I have in my coop and only noticed the last couple of nights is I think is a very large mouse or a rat not sure but I want it out do you have any Ideas how to get rid of them if you do let me know please. Oh and if you don't mind me asking where in central new york do you live

We lost 5 hens in a week. Head off, back breast and leg eaten on one side or whole bird eaten with only wings left. Most at night 2 in day. Some bodies in the open, 2 completely eaten inside a small coop. One body was hauled over a fence during the day. The chickens were locked up at night. We found a small opening at the base of the coop. It looked like it would only accommodate a weasel or skunk but there was never an odor. We were perplexed.

Yesterday we shored up the coop and set 3 traps of various sizes baited with the dead chicken remains. This AM one trap near the hole contained a mother skunk and her subadult offspring. Another small trap had been snapped but no animal. A third was on the opposite side of the chicken yard near our house with another subadult skunk. Here is what we should learn. A skunk can prey without leaving an odor and skunks can prey during daylight hours. Of course we are assuming these were the only predators. We are setting the traps again tonight.

Update: a dead guinea fowl this AM
Today we spent more time proofing the coop and set some traps this yummy left over guinea. One inside and one outside.
Hopefully we will have no more dead and a full trap outside only.

I lost my small flock all at once without a trace. I would think a bird of prey, but these were full grown chickens. 3 hens, a rooster and one baby chick approx 1 month old. Not so much as a feather left behind. Any ideas? I'm absolutely heartbroken.

Mystery solved. Coyote's. Probably a mother teaching her pups to hunt. It's that time of year.

Last edited:
Just had the worst last few weeks. Lost three chickens and I can't tell what type of predation- any ideas?

All three were killed just outside of the coops fence. All were disemboweled. All had feathers everywhere. Hawk? We thought stray dogs. But now the remaining two wont leave the coop or lay an egg.

Really enjoyed this article. I printed it for future use. After reading, it sounds like information for those that live in the country or wooded area. We live in the desert and the only predators we've seen, is our dog and occasionally an owl fly over around dusk. You didn't mention Bats but I wouldn't think they would be problem. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom